Rosenrot logo

Rosenrot - Rammstein Fan Forum -

A place for fans of Rammstein to gather.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deutsche Nachricht
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:57 am 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

Sometimes I see things on Speigel.com/.de that I find interesting or maybe have questions about. And I thought, I might not be alone in that, heh. So I thought why not start a thread of German news that we find interesting and would like to discuss :)
Unlike the news threads in the Chit Chat forum, this one thread will be used for all news. Don't forget to post links ;)
This is similar to the Deutsche Kultur thread, but more news based.

"The Producers" debuts in Germany
I guess I had no idea that The Producers had not been played in Germany. Which is probably a little naive of me :oops:
I love the movie. I kinda like the old movie better than the new one. I have yet to see it as a play though. I never really thought of the movie as making fun of Germans or Nazis, but instead showing the producers as being bumbling, greedy guys. Very bumbling, heh. It's amusing to see two crooks get what they deserve ;)

'Germany's Baby-Boom Dream Has Been Shattered'
I'm sure there are some girls here that would help out with this if Germany decides to stud out R+, hehe ;)
Seriously though, I'm wondering what the reason for the birthrate drop is. From what I've understood, Italy and Japan are having very similar problems. In Japan, people simply do not have time to have children. And in Italy, they just don't want to. That's very simplified, yes, but that's the bulk of it, heh.
So what's going on in Germany that people aren't having as many children?

German Lawmakers Mull a Frankenfood Ban
I love the Greenpeace banner :lol:
Germany is usually considered by the rest of the world to be a bit of a leader in environmental issues. But genetically modified foods are a real hot topic, with some people saying we need some foods to be tweeked with in order to feed the world. So I think it'll be interesting if Germany does ban them in commercial foods.

Post subject: Re: Deutsche Nachricht
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:36 pm 
Mistress of Ceremonies (admin)

That's quite the dilemma about the "frankenfood" ban. These GMO foods are touted as a way to ensure that the world's hungry can be fed - but I fail to believe that multinational companies like Monsanto give a damn about anything more than profits. The scary thing is that no on really knows what the effects a steady diet of GMO foods will have on people, say, 20 years from now.

Regarding the falling birth rate. I think this is occurring in many Western countries where educated women who are focusing on their careers tend to put off having a baby until later in life. Plus, some professions - such as the legal profession (at least in North America) - are NOT "family friendly", which only contributes to the problem. I've read that even today, in order to succeed in many law firms, one MUST place work on the highest pedestal of importance above all else, working well in excess of a regular work week on an ongoing basis; and that many new female lawyers are leaving this profession due to the tenuous expectations these law firms impose.

After all, how would you balance starting a family (or raising a young family) with such excessive work expectations from your employer? A while back, I was talking about this with a young lawyer. She told me that the firm she works for is good, because "...they let you have a life".

Live a cruelty free life - go vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:19 am 

Update on the Mosanto story

Germany Bans Cultivation of GM Corn

I saw a documentary on that particular product only recently and it creeped me out because it really seems to be unclear in how far these plants cause damage to the environment. Especially since the speakers for the company fobbed the interviewers off with kinda vague answers.

This really annoyed a lot of people

German Bishop Links Nazi Crimes to Atheism

It's not the first time this bishop came up with such a rhethoric to make his point and I think he's doing the Catholic church a disservice with his outrageous comparisons.

And this one left me gobsmacked

German Pop Star Accused of Infecting Partner with HIV

Not so much because she's a pop star of a casting band but that attitude. How can anyone be so irresponsible and have unprotected sex when she knows she's HIV positive. Of course, it takes two to tango, but still ...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:58 pm 

^ What a h*ll of a lack of conscience that woman has - HOW could you knowingly infect someone - with a death sentence????? :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:00 am 

^ Would you believe it - now the AIDS lobby is complaining that by the media reports have impinged upon the personal rights of the singer. What about the right to life and physical integrity of the guy she infected?
Though there are some conflicting articles that at the time she infected him, she might not have known she was HIV positive. This is one big mess. Srsly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:15 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

That's just awful :evil:
I think here, if you have unprotected sex with someone while you know you have HIV, it's attempted murder. I tried finding out the exact law, but sometimes google is not your friend.

It upsets me when people say the Nazis were Atheists. There is no need to demonize Atheists :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:35 pm 

Miss Raten wrote:
^ Would you believe it - now the AIDS lobby is complaining that by the media reports have impinged upon the personal rights of the singer. What about the right to life and physical integrity of the guy she infected?
Though there are some conflicting articles that at the time she infected him, she might not have known she was HIV positive. This is one big mess. Srsly

I have no sympathy for her if she knew that she was infected at the time she had unprotected sex and didn't inform her partner. If the police have enough evidence to lay charges, there's a darned good chance that the matter will be decided in a criminal trial. :evil: There have been a couple of recent cases of a similar nature over here too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:32 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

Tough Times for the Humble Beer Mat
bummer :(

German City Offers Scrapping Bonus for Bicycles

European Green Energy Chases US Stimulus Cash

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:33 pm 

How to answer the question "Have you gained weight?" when in Germany (and other interesting observations):
http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1 ... 20,00.html

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:11 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

^ sometimes that bluntness catches Americans off guard ;)

Painful memories of an East German Gulag

Body Worlds Strikes Again

German Naming Laws Remain Byzantine

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:06 pm 

^ Mario Röllig's experiences as discussed in that first article are terrifying. I wouldn't be one bit surprised to hear that he suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder; but I think his giving those tours is a very effective therapy for him.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:29 am 
Rosenrot Donator
Rosenrot Donator

I found that to be a rather interesting article, too. Especially about the former Stasi he encountered being completely unrepentant. That is actually kind of disturbing, that some of those people have little to no pity for the people they tortured to this day.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:09 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

^ Very true ...

A Trail Blocked by History
In the leafy Berlin suburb of Potsdam, residents are caught in the middle of a long-simmering feud between city officials and owners of upscale villas. In the most recent salvo, the homeowners have blocked a shoreline path that traces the former route of the Berlin Wall ...

Oldest Known Human Sculpture Found in Germany
A dig in the caves of southern Germany has unearthed what might be the oldest human depiction ever found. The tiny, mammoth ivory carving, presented for the first time this week, is certainly one of the most explicit ...

She sounds a bit like the Venus of Willendorf :)

Tanks Instead of Beer for German Dads?
When Father's Day comes around next Thursday, men across Germany will mark their special day by downing beer and schnapps. But every year there are new ideas to replace the traditional binge. This year's suggestion? Tank-driving lessons ...

I have got to move to Germany ... and I guess become a father :shock: :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:38 am 
(mod)
(mod)

:D I missed this first, Thanks for the link. :D I hope there will be more actions. Like equality in gender, I would love such a mothersday present :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:42 pm 

^ I thought it really interesting that the gender divide is so pronounced (what else is new?) between Mother's and Father's Days. Mother's Day has everything to do with the celebration of life inside the "private sphere" - home, kids and family; while the Father's Day celebration takes place in the "traditional" men's place - the outside "public sphere" and has nothing to do with family or children.

I'd be interested to hear if some women too, also take part in non-traditional Mother' Day celebrations; and if this men's celebration is still generally strong, or if it is losing popularity in some areas - esp. due to the evolving roles of women and men?