Rosenrot logo

Rosenrot - Rammstein Fan Forum -

A place for fans of Rammstein to gather.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Best Way to Say It?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:42 pm 
Mistress of Ceremonies (admin)

Clearly there are many different ways to say something, whether it's one word or an entire sentence. But for those trying to pick up a new language, having a variety of choices for even one word is confusing and even daunting.
I looked up "again" - a simple enough word - but was given numerous choices, from "wieder", "noch einmal" "nochmals" abermals", etc.
As you can see from my post in the weather section, I copped out and chose the German equivalent of "once again" because I didn't know which word I should use for simply "again."

How do I know what would be the best choice for what I wish to say? IS there even a best choice in this case?

Live a cruelty free life - go vegan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:13 am 

I would say it depends on what you want to emphasize.

If you want to say "good lord, it´s windy again! :evil:" then you can use "mal wieder" like you did in your post. => for angry or distressed meaning.

If you want to say "I had to do this test again" you can use "nochmals" => if you want to say you had to repeat somthing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:31 pm 

@ RA: Thank you! I'm sure that things will fall more into place with the continued use - and asking more questions! The problem I have is that I don't have anyone here who I can practice with. I appreciate your help. :hug:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:19 pm 
Rosenrot Devotee
Rosenrot Devotee

@Barb that's my problem too. no one around me speaks German. i have one friend that went through 4 out of 5 of the classes that i went through, but then i'll through in new vocab or a more complicated sentance structure and she's like "what?".

though teaching my online friend German is a nice refresher course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:05 am 

@ RK: Exactly! Not having a fluent German speaker nearby does make things a bit more difficult.
They say the more you use a language, the easier it gets. You helping out your friend undoubtably helps keep your skills in shape, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:15 am 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

My book say if you haven't started talking to yourself, now would be a good time ;) At least saying stuff outloud, even if there's no one there to correct you will be using the language. My friend sent me some German dvds to help me hear it being spoken. That's kinda cool too :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:43 am 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

Onyx Wolf wrote:
My book say if you haven't started talking to yourself, now would be a good time ;) At least saying stuff outloud, even if there's no one there to correct you will be using the language. My friend sent me some German dvds to help me hear it being spoken. That's kinda cool too :D

I usually curse in German and it's starting to come quite spontaneously. :P I always try to say something simple to myself, but then my little brother always comes to laugh at me. :(
My big brother is much more encouraging, though. He's always asking me simple stuff in German, like "what's the time?" or something like that. And he sometimes starts MSN conversations with me in German. Those kinds of things do help you to get familiar with the language and how to use it in different situations, I think. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:15 pm 

ha i cuss in german to but i do it so my nephew wont pick up bad words... and i talk to myself in my limited german all the time. i have no one around me that speaks it or is willing to speak it. my cousin tries to learn some but she mostly ends up speaking in spanish and i answer her in german. its weird... i know. i got a dvd for little kids one time in german it was kinda scary i think its spritzen? anyway its like here come the injections! it was all different kinds of stuff like lets dance and that on section was on the doctor, but yes i am trying but i agree its hard to learn on your own. especially conjugating! im glad you guys are here to help though and i wont feel so stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:15 pm 
Rosenrot Devotee
Rosenrot Devotee

we used to watch Muzzy in my German class. it's the same type of animation that school house rock is done in. and it's to help kids/people learn German. it's a really bizarre show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:01 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

Disarm wrote:
I usually curse in German and it's starting to come quite spontaneously. :P I always try to say something simple to myself, but then my little brother always comes to laugh at me. :(
My big brother is much more encouraging, though. He's always asking me simple stuff in German, like "what's the time?" or something like that. And he sometimes starts MSN conversations with me in German. Those kinds of things do help you to get familiar with the language and how to use it in different situations, I think. :)

Hehe, the only thing that comes out naturally for me now is: Ach was?! :lol:
And for some reason ... spieluhr sounds like an insult. I keep wanting to call people that when they do something silly. I have No Idea Why :oops: :oops: :oops:

Tell your little brother 'Hau ab!' and ignore him ;) It sounds like you have a really cool older brother to help you out. Sometimes I text my husband in German. But it's been so long since he was in Germany, I actually know more than him now :shock: Frightening.

I do little things to fit in some German every day. I'll make my to do list or grocery list in German. Sometimes I don't come home with the right thing :rolling:
I count whenever possible. Even if just to 10. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:35 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

Sorry to say...my German is so bad the BEST way for me to say anything is in ENGLISH :roll: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:45 am 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

Till's O'Lady wrote:
Sorry to say...my German is so bad the BEST way for me to say anything is in ENGLISH :roll: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

LOL I really had to laugh at that!!!
For me it is a bit easier, we can watch German tele over here and my German friend in writing in German to me. I find reading German so much more easy then actual speaking it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:01 pm 

oh my god! i read better in german than speaking to! was? is the most common phrase for me. then we have ach scheisse! that one really comes out. then next we have bitte and warum nicht. ive heard of muzzy before ive seen the commercials to it, maybe i should try to find some of the dvds and get my cousin to break out the baby einstein for me. but yeah i just totally ruined the language in the weather section. i had to read it twice, i thought it said whos the bed wetter now for some reason! but when all else fails i just listen to my mp3 player that at this momet since its new only have rammstein songs on it. thats fun to do while your at work to. oh yeah and one last thing and im done rambling and so getting off subject, i went in a room to clean it and i saw the bible in german! i had to open it to make sure but it was and i was even able to read hoffung(spell?) fur alle! hope for all! yay i was so happy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:27 am 

BeeKay wrote:
@ RA: Thank you! I'm sure that things will fall more into place with the continued use - and asking more questions! The problem I have is that I don't have anyone here who I can practice with. I appreciate your help. :hug:

yeah, no problem! glad if i can help! :hug: well, what helped me most to improve my english is reading english fanfiction about my favourite movie trilogie atm - x-men and watching all dvds in english. aaaand living in dublin for four months :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:44 pm 

I looked up a couple of words to help me with putting together a (rough) translation of: On our walk today, my dogs were always wanting to chase squirrels; My dogs always want to chase squirrels whenever we go for our walks.
And of course, just as there's many ways to say the same thing in English, the same is true in German.
So please bear with my attempt:

Auf unser ein weiter Weg, mein Hunden immer wollen jagen das Eichhörnchen.

Did I order the words correctly? Did I use the appropriate wording to signify a longer walk? When I wrote "...mein Hunden..." should I not have made "mein" feminine to agree with the fact that I (the speaker) am female - or should it stay as masculine to agree with the noun "Hunden"? Somebody please help me!