Rosenrot logo

Rosenrot - Rammstein Fan Forum -

A place for fans of Rammstein to gather.
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Patriarchalism
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:06 pm 
Tillicious Girl
Tillicious Girl

I just wanted to ask you one thing, Girls: how big is the problem of patriachalism in your country/ area, and what is your attitude towards it? Do you think that it is still too much of a burden to us, women nowadays?
In the course of centuries, women have been struggling with patriarchalism, fighting for their rights and independence - it took its peek in 70ties, after Linda Nochlin published her article: 'Why there were no famous female artists" (Don't know if you girls read that). In this article she tells us in general about male predominance over women in earlier times - whilst men would spend most of their time concquering lands, musing about astronomy, geography, painting and making wonderful discoveries, their women would take care of the household, bringing up kids and serving meals. Hardly ever did they have their say in political matters. Around 70ties, our gender started to fight for equal opportunities for women in education and employment, with various outcomes.

And how does it look like nowadays? Theoretically, we enjoy incomparably more freedom than women from the past, but we still hear loads of stories about women being mistreated/ beaten up/ humiliated by their husbands... being left to do all the housework, carrying the responsibility for their kids on their back. We're the ones who are supposed to wash up after dinner, peel potatoes or do the laundry, because this is "such a woman thing to do". I've even heard a story about a 30 year old guy who asked her wife if "he should also wash the inner side of the cup" :headwall: :roll:
What I find especially disgusting is that some college students treat their female room mates (not even girlfriends, just friends) as a -free- of -charge service, asking them to make sandwiches for breakfast, or clean up the whole mess after a party because again: "This is such a female thing to do". One man tried to talk her fiancee out of studying, because he feared that she "wouldn't find enough time for housework and kids after they marry". What the F*CK?! Why should a woman limit herself to housework and maternity matters? What about our own ambitions, careers? We're as much entitled to education and career as they are!
What is your opinion, friends? Do you also feel that the problem of patriarchalism is still beleaugering our gender, enforcing unjust restrictions and limits?

Post subject: Re: Patriarchalism
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:01 pm 
Mistress of Ceremonies (admin)

Iroto, you pretty much read my mind on this topic! I was going to post an article and short vid - just to illustrate that even in a "first world" country that gives women full legal rights - patriarchy is still very much alive and kicking.

This has to do with a strip club in Vancouver advertising its "amateur night" strippers as "FRESH MEAT". In the video, every woman interviewed said it was offensive; every man - but ONE - thought there was nothing wrong with it.

Here's the vid: http://www.theprovince.com/news/vancouv ... story.html

If many/most ment think it's perfectly fine to refer to a woman as "fresh meat", what does that say for our society? What does that say about these men? Would these men think any differently if it were their 18 year old daughters - stripping on stage - and being referred to as "fresh meat?"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:12 pm 
Tillicious Girl
Tillicious Girl

^BeeKay, that's just beyond disgusting! :brr:
And yes, one more thing I've forgotten to bring up - people use to speak disrespectfully about "whores" and "prostitutes" selling their bodies with random clients, well yeah, but take note, that it doesn't work BOTH WAYS! What should we say about MEN who enjoy their company and have a good time? How should we call them?After they're done, they zip up the fly and go out searching for a lovely virgin with irreproachable morals, as this is the only kind of a woman they would love to marry and have kids with. But aren't they also the ones who sell their bodies and get involved in "dirty stuff?"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:27 pm 

^ Exactly. One train of thought regarding why prostitutes are vilified and degraded is that they are going *against* patriarchal society because they are controlling their own sexuality and their own bodies. They choose to have sex (and be paid for it) outside of the "traditional" boundaries of marriage - so this is what makes them a *threat* to patriarchy (they can't be controlled by traditional means) - and hence why there are hated.

Women controlling their own bodies and reproductive functions (as opposed to being under the control of their husbands or the states') while empowering for women, is a scary thing to patriarchal society as it upsets its skewed "balance". In many of these cases, society has pushed back against these women - even today.

To address the other of many excellent points you've made, I also put some responsibility on these women (of all ages) to stand up to this sexist nonsense and ask "Why?" in reply to a roommate asking them to make them food simply because she's female. There *IS* a difference of course - people doing kind things for each other, such as cooking dinner or whatever simply to be nice. This is totally different from doing housework, etc. simply by default - BECAUSE of one's sex. That is *not* OK.

As for the women who work all day, come home and then do house work, childcare, etc. while the husband does little to nothing, I ask them "WHY?" Why do you put up with it? It is up to YOU to change something you don't like, for if you don't, who will?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:05 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

Location: SFV, California, US; snuggled between Richard and Paul....Ooo Flake, come here! <3
I've been wandering this thread for a while now, but I didn't want to write nonsense and look like a moron. I myself am in the middle of studying gender, therefore I still have a lot to learn. But I will chime in on what I've read, and what I know.

Patriarchy is still prevalent in most of the world. However, there are nations (I don't know the exact amount) that are pursuing an egalitarian society where men and women are treated the same. I can't speak for every nation, but I can speak for at the U.S. The U.S is fairly egalitarian; women can vote, work, sign their contracts, have a bank account, etc. However, there are several members in office that want to regulate women's choices such as choices concerning their health (such as no access to contraceptives and no abortions). I have yet to see a bill that regulates men's health. Hundreds of legislative bills have been passed around concerning women's health rights (see women's health rights thread). There are also appears to be an ambivalence; women make up half of the U.S workforce, make 40% more than men, and are still payed 20% less than what a man makes doing the same task. :Wtf2:. Another big beef I have with the U.S is that women DO NOT RECEIVE PAID MATERNITY LEAVE when they have their babies. The U.S is the only developed nation to have such a thing. How embarrassing. :headwall: When it comes to education, women are more likely to graduate college and earn their degrees. Also, girls/women do well in mathematics/science classes, but a lot don't pursue careers in those fields. Why? They are competing with males. There is still a lot of work to be done. :sigh:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:00 am 

Yup, it exists. I was frequently the only female in higher science classes and was told to give up my notes, pencils, etc so the guys could slack. I got my frigid ice queen title for not putting up with that.

But - the other side. I'm tired of being trashed for becoming a teacher vs going into research. Or the shaming because I'm taking a long maternity leave while DH didn't take much leave. Or the insults for wanting to stay home a bit. Or the vile terms because I let DH set the comfort level of internet sharing and that it makes me happy to make him happy.

First - so? I'm teaching because someone has to. I love teaching because I get young ladies to love STEM fields, so they want that, and how to stand up even if they're in the same reality I was in. If I don't do so - would my replacement teacher do the same? Sorry, but teaching has helped women far more than research - at least for teaching social acceptance.

Second & third - My job offers the leave. The babies need the stability at first, this has been very hard on them also. DH's job doesn't have the same ability to be gone for 10 weeks. His job will help keep our girls safer. I would rather he be working because it's a need of society.

Fourth - He's paranoid, but it's probably justified. It's very little to keep him from the worries he gets, it's not a big deal to me. Why should I want to antagonize him, when he doesn't antagonize me? The making one happy goes both ways. If he's had a hideous day, I enjoy having a comfortable seat for him, a kiss and snuggle session, and keeping the kids calm. If my day has been one thing after another - he brings home dinner, draws me a lovely bubble bath and keeps the kids calm.

I know it's not normal. We are still married, still very happy and like a pretty darn boring reality. Love and calmness may be boring. But, I don't want everything to be action packed, fighting and "entertainment" for a life. That's going to curl up and die.