Rosenrot logo

Rosenrot - Rammstein Fan Forum -

A place for fans of Rammstein to gather.
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My friend eats horse...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:38 pm 
Mistress of Ceremonies (admin)
Mistress of Ceremonies (admin)

^ Foods (in this case, horsemeat) that are judged unfit for human consumption get made into pet food.

Regardless, in some (many or most?) cases animals that are unable to get up and walk independently from the transport truck (called "downers" in the industry) are not supposed to be killed for human consumption. Hence unscrupulous (and cruel) efforts are made to push, pull or otherwise get that "downer" from the truck to the slaughterhouse.

Here's only one newsarticle about this issue: http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott ... ood-supply
And if you have the stomach for it, watch the vid.

Sadly, I don't imagine many will, as people will say "It's too disturbing to watch". True, it is - but how do you think it *felt* for the poor cow to experience? This is where your meat comes from - it makes no difference whether a cow, hog, horse, goat, chicken or turkey, as cruel treatement of all "food" animals has been documented on video time and time again. I'm not even going to touch on the subject of the cat and dog meat and fur "industries" in some Asian countries.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:10 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

^ I watched the video although it took me 3 tries. (It made me want to vomit.) I swear I am wanting more and more become a vegetarian! :evil: I don't care if I am getting round to it in a wimpy way, I am still getting round to it! For some reason I thought it would be more expensive to cook vegetarian for one but I am finding books on amazon and I think as soon as I lose the weight I am wanting to, that I will try it out and see how easy and inexpensive it is. I know that sounds callous, "as long as it is convenient for me"... I am just so confused that if I make this a decision without "trying it on for size" that I might be setting myself up for failure. I did find this website somehow where this guy claims that you can do it for $12 a week. http://www.doctoryourself.com/eatwellcheap.html I think what I will do is buy one vegetarian book per month and go over the recipes and by the time I have lost my weight I will have readied myself and gotten an idea of how to shop. I love Amazon and I think I am going to buy a Kindle. I did find out that you can read kindle books on your computer though "Cloud Reader". I am looking forward to this experiment and I know I have too much to gain above the convenience that I might lose.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:20 am 

i eat horse meat and i am a horse owner...
( 2 shetland ponies)

i dont eat it a lot,
but sometimes if my parents buy horse sausage from a certain butcher who is famous for the horse sausage i do eat some.

i agree with colette on this, i dont see the difference with cow, chicken, horse or other meat..

and indeed getting a dead horse pick up is pretty expensive.. i looked it up a couple of years ago as a horse owner..
but it depends on how you want the horse to be picked up.. which sounds weird...

and here in NL animals must be able to walk in a truck to be slaughter t.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:05 pm 
Berliner At Heart
Berliner At Heart

In the Nordic contries it is an ancient tradition to eat horse. The Swedish word for Christmas even komes from the old word for horse and beer, cause at the Midwinter festival you slaughtered horses. This was later banned when Christianity came here cause it was considered barbaric.

Eating horsemeat is still very common here, but it is considered a low budget meat. I have eaten it in the past when I ate meat but I never liked it so I saw no point in eating it. It's sold as some kind of cheap sandwich meat here. Sometimes you can find horse steak, but it's not very popular or common. People just thinks it's a bad, low budget meat.
The attitude here is that when a horse is old it ends up on the sandwich. Most horses are still sent to slaughter at the end of their life, that is the most common way here. Even race horses or army horses that have had a career. I find that a kind of ungreatful. :?
I don't know how it is nowadays, but you usually had to apply for a special permission to have your horse just put to sleep if you didn't want it slaughtered. Or you could get a hunter to shoot it. Then you still had to ask for permission either to have it cremated or find somewhere that you were allowed to bury it. For example if you own a large piece of land. So it was not easy for people to "get rid of" a horse when it was old or injured, therefor they are so often slaughtered here.

@BK: I watched the clip and I've seen many like it. :brr: That was one of the reasons I became vegetarian and then vegan.

I kind of hate the meat industry, it's disgusting in so many ways. Another thing: If you keep lots of animals like this for food, they have to be given a lot of medicine, hormones, antibiotics and lots of other synthetic things. When you eat them you eat the stuff that has been put in them too. This scared the hell out me anyway.

(and yes I know there is unhealthy stuff on vegetables too, pesticides and things but I still find that less harmful :P )

I don't judge people who eat meat no matter what kind of animal it is, but it's not for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:40 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

^ I know that what you speak is true about the antibiotics and hormones etc. I have decided yes, that I want to be a vegetarian when I am done with this diet... not a vegan yet, but that may come later. I think I know deep down that eating some animals but not others is hypocritical and I am glad that people in this topic have helped me to see that way. I am also glad to have had the chance to see the gross videos and read the literature about the inhumane treatment of animals because this is what has helped me make this decision.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:41 pm 
Rosenrot Donator
Rosenrot Donator

Location: In Till's Pants... and he's going to be SO angry when he finds out I've got them!
I grew up on a Sheep and Beef station, raising animals for meat and wool.

We used to use horses to muster the hill country, they were more workmates than pets, and very much loved.

I can't imagine eating horse, not because of a horses 'status' above the cattle and sheep, god knows we had pet lambs and calves too, and we occasionally had to 'dog tucker' an injured horse for the working dogs, but because of the way I imagine the meat to taste.

Not a lot of people seem to notice, but different sheep taste - well different.

A fine wool animal tastes different to a coarse wool, and hoggets (female) taste better than castrated males (wethers) and MUCH better than Rams (entire males). If a Ram has been slaughtered the meat STINKS, it tastes musky and rank and like testosterone.

Animals taste like they smell.

Horses smell. I imagine them to taste like they smell.

I feel the same way about dog meat- do they taste like they smell? Dogs eat ALL kinds of rubbish (pigs too), what does that's do to the meat?

So no, I wouldn't eat horse, and I'm VERY choosey about the meat I feed to my family.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:40 pm 
Paul Doll
Paul Doll

I don't eat a lot of meat. There are some animals that I would never eat, horse, dog, cat to name a few.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:27 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

I have tried minced horse meat as beef thingies, and the meat is simply too sweet for my taste.
I don't have a problem with eating horse meat like I would eat cow, calf, pig, deer, musk ox, reindeer, chicken, duck, turkey, fish and other animals.
I wouldn't eat cat or dog unless I absolutely had to, though, but that's simply because they're predators, their meat isn't nearly as good to eat as the other ordinary meat animals.

And did you know that the reason why dog sleds are still more used than snow scooters in Greenland?
Well - if you're caught in a 7-day blizzard, you can eat a dog, you can't eat your snow scooter. And the dogs can go on longer on nothing than a snow scooter can.
So that way it's a matter of survival when you can't go hunting in a blizzard.
And if all else fails, there's usually between 8 and 20 dogs - that's quite a lot of food that you can eat before you have to resort to eating your travelling buddies.
The downside is that you're eating away at your chance of survival as well, since you need the dogs to get you fast back to the nearest food supply once the weather clears.
But if all else fails, it's better than nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:06 am 
Rosenrot Donator
Rosenrot Donator

Horse is starting to creep into some butchers cabinets over here in australia. We have kangaroo,crocodile and emu at select butchers and no-one complains but as mention horse and you have a huge debate on your hands.
I personally refuse to eat rabbit,roo,emu or croc but will eat beef,lamb,pig,chicken and fish
Hypocrite much :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:40 pm 
RichBitch
RichBitch

I just want to know what Horse tastes like * no I am never going to eat it* but does it have a similar flavouring as beef or lamb or goat?? I am really curious :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:31 am 
(mod)
(mod)

^I think CBM hit the nail on the head. It taste like the smell. My mother always tried to fool me with smoked thin slices. we have them in horse and beef variation for on your sandwich. ( the horse much cheaper)When I asked she always said , beef! but you can taste it right away :lol: It's sweeter and taste like horse smell.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:13 pm 
Tillicious Girl
Tillicious Girl

JuJuBe42 wrote:
In my crazy little dysfunctional friendship that I have with my friend from Italy, well he is originally from the United States... and now that he is in a place with such interesting and foreign foods (to me)... we have this little thing that I don't remember when it all really started but I like it when he takes a picture of his dinner plate when he cooks or eats something good and then he shows it to me on the computer, like when he goes out to eat in a restaurant. Well after he shows me the picture of what he is eating or has eaten, I try to identify exactly what it is, and a lot of the time I am wrong- because they eat a lot of things like pistachios & HORSE- being because it is apparently a "Southern Italy" thing.

Well this last one has me so grossed out!!! I actually looked up horse meat on wikkipedia and when I was reading it I was gagging. I personally am not a vegan or even a vegetarian (although I am considering becoming one "someday") - but seriously... doesn't eating horse seem like you are eating a pet? Yes I know that people eat dogs and cats in some places and that is just AWFUL... but my friend just doesn't seem to understand why I get so upset about the horse thing.

I personally won't eat duck or rabbit because they are "cute" and god forbid veal, because of the inhumane ways in which they raise them.... but I am wondering, am I being unreasonable when it comes to eating horse, or am I being hypocritical by eating some animals but not others. I am just starting to get weirded out by knowing where I stand on these food issues but not knowing if the "why" is even reasonable or not. What do you think about all of this?

I don't think you're being hypocritical. I really see horses as animals that are used mainly for being ridden and farmwork. If I was given the chance I would be very iffy on trying it but I am a big meat eater so I would probably like it. There has not been any type of meat that I have tried that I have not enjoyed. I would never, ever try any dog, cat, etc though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:15 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

Funny how all of this stuff seems to affect us and not the government. You know, they're eating stuff of the highest quality, that has been treated carefully, with NO bad things in, yet when they manufacture food for us they put all sorts of stuff in and it's a wonder why half of the British population haven't died from cancer due to the cancer-causing drugs that seem to be approved for injecting into animals that will end up being meat on our plates, and what's funny about it is that they want to deny us drugs that will rid us of said cancer. Same with Anaemia (I'm Anaemic), and in my opinion (and after having read an article about it), maybe it would be better to pick up roadkill and do everything yourself because then you don't get all the nasties if done right, or just revert back to eating plants and berries and nuts like our predecessors would have done.

Quote from my own mind.