Rosenrot logo

Rosenrot - Rammstein Fan Forum -

A place for fans of Rammstein to gather.
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: You don't drink - you are weird?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:15 pm 
Tillicious Girl
Tillicious Girl

Of course you're not weird, it's all just personal preference. :) Just as they see you as weird for not drinking, you see their behavior as incomprehensible. Really it's the same exact thoughts, just on opposite sides.

I'll be heading to college in less than two weeks and I know I'll probably be pestered to get drunk at some point, but I refuse to. My mom briefly talked about this with me because she personally doesn't drink and has seen the effects of alcoholism on both her and my father's side of the family. (They say it does run in families, and my father used to be a really heavy drinker when I was little, but he's cut back since then. But I still won't let my choices be taken away because of the irresponsibilty of others. It doesn't really phase me.) There's nothing wrong with drinking if you're fond of the taste of alcohol and don't go out and do stupid things. And there's nothing wrong with not drinking to avoid all those problems altogether.

Yotami wrote:
I've tried a bit of many kinds of alcohol before most of my American peers have because my parents are European and realized that it was better to demolish the "taboo and therefore cool" reputation that alcohol has in America....

...And yes, all my American friends and classmates here judge me when I don't partake in the alcoholic drinks, but they're still under the impression that they're the coolest things on earth for walking around Berlin with beers in their hands. I just shake my head and scoff. Drinking for fun is fine, and so is not drinking because you don't find it fun. But drinking because you think that it makes you look cool--now that's dangerous. :(

This right here is the problem. More often than not, people my age drink because it's cool, not because they actually want to, and as cliche as it sounds it still holds true. I have a friend whose family lets anyone 18 and over drink at parties as long as they do it responsibly even though it's technically illegal. I've been over her house and if we're alone we might have a drink, but never in a party setting, never with people I don't know - it's usually just me and her. I like the taste of some of it and I enjoy the buzz, but I'd never be irresponsible with it. I honestly don't understand the point of buying alcohol, which is more expensive than most drinks as it is, just to have so much that you can't even remember what you did while drinking. :| I do think the drinking laws here should be lowered because then it wouldn't be such a bad thing to do, but just a normal thing like in other countries. No one would think highly of anyone else for getting drunk because everyone could do it openly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:15 pm 
Tillicious Girl
Tillicious Girl

Location: Es gibt keinen guten Weg etwas Schlechtes zu tun. (There is no good way to do a bad thing.) T. L.
Just everyone remember - the "Buzz" is involved in brain cells dying. Plus, if you're "buzzed" your reasoning abilities are already impaired. :roll: You don't need to pass out! :cham2:

It used to be believed that brain cells could never be replaced. Recent studies of alcohol and alcoholism show that the brain CAN recover over time if the damage doesn't get too great. (The BBC online has lots of great science articles - I'd look there if you're interested.) But at the time you are drinking, it's good to keep in mind these two drawbacks. :brr:

Also:

The most important sign of serious damage and over-indulging is the Blackout. If you have ever had an incident where others report you were awake and doing things, and you don't remember it, rethink whether you want to drink. Or at least how much. :?

And:

Blackouts are a known indicator of possible alcoholism. There's a list of ten or twelve symptoms "out there", but I don't remember the others. My Ex once helped a young couple pull their car out of a field after New Year's Eve, and didn't remember ANY of that by the time we got home - only a few miles away! :brr:

Plus:

Puking is unpleasant but don't fight it. It's nature's way of protecting you. :speddrool:

:fire: :twisted: :fire: Till Lindemann is my anger-management coach. He says I'm flunking. :fire: :evil: :fire:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:29 pm 

"Just everyone remember - the "Buzz" is involved in brain cells dying. Plus, if you're "buzzed" your reasoning abilities are already impaired. You don't need to pass out! "

I think you are confusing the words "cells" and "neuro-pathways". Your cells do not die at all, but the dendrites which help your neurons communicate are damaged. Yours cells are fine but your pathways are completely altered and or damaged. Being buzzed does not affect your pathways as severely as being chronically (read: alcoholism) drunk (completely non-functional). Feeling "floaty" or a bit tipsy does not equate with being drunk. Even so the damage the dendrites take can be reversible.

Here is a short explanation I had to read for HP Biology:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/human-b ... myths9.htm

It is short but it does have very useful information, that you can then research and expand upon for yourself. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:20 am 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

^^ That's a great article. Learned a lot... :D

Last edited by JuJuBe42 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:49 am 
Schneider's Gurl
Schneider's Gurl

I drink a bit... beer or wine and very very rarely vodka with juice nothing more... I've never ever been drunk and really don't wanna be anytime in future... when I take little bit more drinks I have immediately a headache. Sometimes I don't drink for months.... I don't find anything interesting in getting wasted every saturday or even every day... Truth is that I tried to solve my depressions with alcohol one day when I was deep deep down but I found out really immediately that it's complete bullshit... I realized that if I take the first drink that someone gives to me and pretend that I will be drinking like everybody around then noone pays attention if I continue drinking all night long but if I start with rejection very often people convince me as crazy to drink ... yes, everybody probably feels uncomfortable getting wasted around someone sober... so if I don't wanna get into a neverending and boring discussion about my no-drinking I just take a glass and everything is ok....
And I don't smoke, no cigarettes, no weed, nothing... I just can't.... my grandma died because of smoking so I've never even started... this is even more weird in my country than not to drink alcohol... and is even harder because I really can't stand smoky rooms it makes me sick very quickly... and lot of smokers are pretty aggressive if you tell them something - like it's their human right to smoke everywhere they go and blablabla... so you almost can't win...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:35 am 
Rosenrot Devotee
Rosenrot Devotee

^I can't stand smoky rooms either...I'm allergic to the smoke. Both sets of my parents (my parents are divorced) used to smoke in the house, and I couldn't stand it. My clothes and my hair always smelled like cigarettes even though I never once tried a cigarette myself.

You're not weird because you don't drink...it's a matter of personal preference and your own inner convictions. One should not have to drink in order to fit in with what society deems acceptable. The same goes for smoking and drugs. It's a personal choice.

I'll be going off to college soon and I'm sure there will be peer pressure for me to drink, but I choose not to. My dad died of non-alcohol-related liver disease and there's a pretty good chance that his disease could be genetic, so I don't want to increase my chances of getting it by damaging my liver with alcohol. It's not pretty to watch someone die of liver disease, and I don't want to end up going through it myself because of excessive drinking. I have what you'd call an "addictive personality," meaning that I easily get hooked on things. I don't even want to start drinking, smoking, or doing drugs because I know I wouldn't be able to stop. I respect everyone else's decisions though. It's your life....live it how you want! :)

Das beste oder nichts.

Aus der Asche ganz allein
Steig ich auf zum Sonnenschein

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:53 pm 
Soul Therapist
Soul Therapist

Nothing wrong with not drinking, besides nowadays it seems like its almost more rebellious in a way not to. I rather enjoy being a rebel :-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:43 pm 

You aren't weird at all. :hug:

I don't drink because generations of alochol abuse/dependency amongst nearly every member of my Father's family---including my Dad himself. If you guessed that's the aboriginal half...you're right :oops: My Grandmother had all eight of her kids taken away from her by the state because of this.

I had too many instances of my Dad saying weird stuff, starting fights etc while drunk whilst growing up to ever think of getting wasted as 'fun.'

I also feel uncomfortable after a point around too many drunk people because I'll be the one to remember all the embarassing stuff they said/did while they of course can pled amenesia.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:47 pm 

While there is some genetic predisposition to alcohol, there isn't a concrete certainty that you will become dependent on alcohol.

I am Irish, Scottish, German, AND Native American. I am an AA meeting waiting to happen, :rolling: yet I know when to stop. I'm just saying that while it is ok to be cautious, it isn't 100% fact that if you drink you will allow alcohol to run your life. In fact, since you are aware of how alcoholism is abound in your family you are most likely to be a responsible drinker if you so chose. Biology only gets us so far, it is our own personal judgments that lead the way. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:12 am 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

If I drink, I know what would be best to go for. For some reason, beer does not seem to affect me, but last week, I had something like 6 glasses of wine, but no food was available and oh yes, I got totally wasted. Taxi driver was not too pleased, and I did have at least 3 womming sessions, which probably contributed to the mood. Did have a few Lagers etc last Friday, but since then, I've been sober, and hey, sober is much better than wasted because when you're sober you do sane things, although drink does make me more chatty (I'm normally shy and withdrawn)

Quote from my own mind.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:14 pm 
Tillicious Girl
Tillicious Girl

Location: Deep in the jungle searching for the elusive Doomaconda!
You need people who respect you for who you are, and support your choices. You are not weird because you don't want to drink.
I spent 5 years (from age 15-20) spending too much time getting completely drunk.I mean,lost all control, fighting, sleeping with unsuitable people kind of drunk. I had emotional problems and used all the wrong things to keep me from feeling too much (alcohol was the least of it...). I don't look back on that chapter of my life as anything I'm proud of. I now rarely drink (the odd glass of wine every now and then, and I don't get drunk).
I can understand where you're coming from, my husband never drinks and sometimes people give him a hard time...but he doesn't listen to them and neither should you. if they have a problem with you not drinking it's THEIR problem! :hug:

Your eyes can be so cruel, just as I can be so cruel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:06 am 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

I'm on the no-drinking team as well, and I don't have any problems with people not understanding me not wanting to drink, so I'd say: It may be annoying now to take flak now because you don't drink, but I think it gets better with age.

What really bugs me is that people generally assume and take for granted that just because I don't drink, I'll be the responsible one who'll drive people home and make sure that they get to bed safely.

No.
If you are old enough to drink, you sure as hell is old enough to take care and look after yourself.
If not, don't drink. (God I wish...)
That particular situation of people thinking that they can drink their brains out and the leave the responsibility of their health [sic] to me is something I've gotten really really tired of very very fast, so now I usually leave a party fairly early (I hate drunk people anyway, so that's no problem) and leave the drunks to fall wherever they land - it is not my problem.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:55 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

Location: SFV, California, US; snuggled between Richard and Paul....Ooo Flake, come here! <3
I seldom drink. I haven't touched a drink in months. The group of ladies I sometimes hangout with drink every freaking weekend. In fact, it's Saturday night tonight and they are already pre drinking. I've gotten a few faces from them when I tell them I don't drink and drive. It should be common sense that drinking and driving don't mix. Other times I've gotten words of praise from people that see I'm responsible sacrificing drinks and not my life or the lives of others. Sometimes I've seen those same people praise me, and go back to the bar for more alcohol. I don't understand that disconnect. :|

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:54 pm 
Soul Therapist
Soul Therapist

^I've had several drunk people tell me I'm awesome because I don't drink...now that is weird, lol.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:43 pm 
RichBitch
RichBitch

^haha
I hardly ever drink anymore these days because since December my husband decided to stop drinking altogether. Decided it was just too risky as he used to enjoy the occasional bender and didn't always know his limit. His father is a lifelong alcoholic and is now terminally ill as a result of years of alcohol abuse and my husband also suffers from post traumatic stress disorder. All those things combined are a recipe for disaster and far too high a risk so he decided to quit altogether and is now 5 months sober :yay:
I am on board with the whole moral support thing so I hardly ever drink as a result - only if I am on a girl's night out - even then, I won't get snot flying drunk as I am also a parent and it is just not cricket to be totally wasted in the case your kids my need you

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next