Rosenrot logo

Rosenrot - Rammstein Fan Forum -

A place for fans of Rammstein to gather.
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: You don't drink - you are weird?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:14 pm 
Tillicious Girl
Tillicious Girl

I don't drink at all. I simply don't. I just don't like alcohol.
My friends gaze at me, confusion written all over their faces.
What's wrong with being an abstinent? They treat me as some kind of a nerd. Three years ago, I went to the club with one of my student pal. As soon as we'd found ourselves underground, she grabbed my hand, dragged me towards the bar and ordered two bottles of beer without even asking me, if I wanted one. It was her understanding, that we came there to have some booze. She suddenly turned to me, looked me right in the eyes, handed me the bottle and exclaimed: "Go on, give it a shot! You have to get tipsy!" I sent her a puzzled gaze. "Yeah, that's right, I want to see you drunk! You want to get real fun started or not?"
Please. What is going on with these people. They want to have a drink or two, go ahead. They want to get drunk, go ahead. They're mature people, they can do whatever they want. But how about they showed some more tolerance?! Why do people seem to have such big problems with accepting the fact that someone may simply NOT enjoy drinking? I refuse to have a drink, they already take it as an insult. I have my reasons to avoid booze (No, no health problems, not at all, I've just seen what terrible things alcohol may do to people, I've experienced all sorts of unpleasant stuffs, I remember the guy who almost threw up on my blouse during a wedding party, he was so tanked..). Long story short, abstinent people are still being discriminated in my country, and it's not only a problem in students' world. I am just tired of the same story repeating itself over and over again (weddings, parties, private parties) _> "No thank you, I am fine".. "NO THANK YOU, a glass of juice will do".. "Yes, I AM being honest, no, I am not joking, will you please put this bottle away, no, don't pour.. I say don't ...leave my glass alone.. don't! .. oh, damn!!!">.<
. Trust me, it's getting really annoying in a long run. :(:(

Post subject: Re: You don't drink - you are weird?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:19 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

You are not weird... you are not a nerd.... you are a responsible, observant, perceptive, young NORMAL person.

You have seen the effects and damages of drinkers and you have learned from them.

I too have seen the same first-hand ... and I don't drink anymore as a result either.

The people who try to push alcohol on you don't respect your boundaries. It is commendable that you have these boundaries.

You say that you want juice or soda whatever, and they should leave it at that...

A lot of women who are watching their calories opt for non-alcoholic drinks... so do designated drivers.

For all they know you could be one of those people and the bartender has seen it a million times.

Your friends on the other hand, just have to get used to the fact that you don drink!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:11 pm 

I drink but I know when to stop. Before I get too tipsy and before I get drunk. I have never ONCE been drunk at all. Many people find that weird and abnormal and always go "I'm soooo going to get you wasted". I like being in charge of my faculties thank you, I do not need to be drunk to have a good time. One or two (or 3 or 4 [I have a high alcohol tolerance, plus I pace myself when drinking + food, water, time, etc...]) drinks is okay, but I know my limits. I do not like to be tipsy, coordination is out the window, I will NEVER be drunk at all. People just can't accept that.

I don't think you are weird for not drinking at all, hell, I drink and people think I'M weird because I refuse to get drunk. You aren't alone in your "abnormal" (as those people deem it) drinking habits.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:38 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

no ofcourse it's not weird if you don't drink!

I drink sometimes, and when I say sometimes I mean: maybe -when I feel like it- on special occasions: in a restaurant or at family (christmas), on a terrace with good company... and only 1 or 2 glasses.
But at home I don't drink wine or beer: it is just not in my system.
Every year we get a lot of bottles wine at christmas, and just two days ago, I found out we had almost 50 bottles just standing and collecting dust...
When it's carnaval I drink a beer and Schrobbelér (It's a special regional brew liquor) . But I never get really drunk.

And sometimes I poor myself a nice glass of whiskey or cognac (I like that :D )
And when I do, I take 1 or 2 glasses...
Rarely I "drug" myself when the ADD-thingies in my head are bouncing too much and I can't sleep because of that or get mad of it :bounce: : I'll take a glass scotch (just 1 or 1/2) to calm things down in my head...
I know It's not a good thing to drink a glass of scotch to calm down, but on the other side: I don't take those medicine that some people take on a daily base: like they are healthy?! I am a grown up and I know exactely how the ADD works in my system, and It is known that Alcohol effects the AD(H)D-thingies... so whenever the ADD-thingies are bullying me, I just get back to them :twisted:
I try to avoid situations that'll makethe ADD-thingies bounce :wink:

I drink a lot of tea, coke, water, juice or coffee or syrup lemonade :D
I just forget to drink alcohol. Now THAT's weird.... :lol:
I think over-all I drink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:56 pm 
Tillicious Girl
Tillicious Girl

Location: Es gibt keinen guten Weg etwas Schlechtes zu tun. (There is no good way to do a bad thing.) T. L.
You may need new friends - this sounds so OLD FASHIONED! Back in the 50's when I was young it was considered an insult not to drink when others were. Like you were judging them or something. :shock:

Then came the "stone age" where if you didn't drink it was simply assumed that you had brought your own "resources" and were alternately stoned. This was nice for us non-drinkers because for the first time we could be judged as "fun" on our own merits.

Why this bit of social stupidity is coming back puzzles me. Don't let it "win" again! :brr:

I am not "tee-total" I drink a shot of booze now and then, or dunk my tongue in wine. But mostly I just don't like it. I hate the taste and I don't like to have any less control over ME than I usually have - because that is already not quite enough. :twisted:

I think the deal is, people who feel a NEED to drink in order to relax enough to have/be fun still feel those who don't are somehow judging them. :roll: If misery loves company, so does alcohol. Try telling them you're "allergic" or hint you're already well enough detached. My friends know me well enough not to comment. I can be the life of a party (or the Problem Child) dead sober. If you're NOT my friend, why would I go out in your company?

:fire: :twisted: :fire: Till Lindemann is my anger-management coach. He says I'm flunking. :fire: :evil: :fire:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:03 am 
Rosenrot Donator
Rosenrot Donator

Location: In Till's Pants... and he's going to be SO angry when he finds out I've got them!
Oh hun there is NOTHING wrong with not drinking!!

You've NEVER drunk drive, you'll NEVER make a bad decision in a bar, you'll NEVER end up in bed with some drunk random dude you don't know how to get rid off, you'll NEVER spend the night vomiting red wine into a bucket, and you'll NEVER have a hangover - sounds pretty good to me!

I drink, I enjoy it, but I'm ADAMANTLY illegal drug free.

Alcohol, nicotine and caffeine are all drugs I partake in, so I see no need in taking any other sort of illegal high. I know plenty of stoners who start out because it's illegal and somehow 'cool', and before you know it, they're offering you all sorts of things and staring at you like you're some sort of nark if you don't partake.

I wish people would just mind their own business and let other people enjoy themselves how THEY want to, and not push their own agendas on people

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:19 am 
Mistress of Ceremonies (admin)
Mistress of Ceremonies (admin)

I'll add my voice too. You are NOT the one with the alcohol issue here - it's the problem of the ones who try to persuade you to drink.
It's *their* problem - and it's not up to you to feel you have to *defend* yourself for not wishing to drink. At the end of the evening, it won't be you puking into someone's garden, will it? :P

I'll have a drink once in a blue moon only - for example, to toast New Year's. I will never drink if I will be driving. Not one drink. I don't do illegal drugs. I don't do prescription narcotics, etc. either. "Hardline" to some? Yes, maybe - but I'll never be arrested for drunk driving, etc., will I? Like others have said before me, I like to be in control of myself and my actions. It's my choice, no one else's.

Live a cruelty free life - go vegan.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:38 am 
RichBitch
RichBitch

I used to drink like Keith Richards, I was an absolute hellion in my late teens and early twenties, and I also did illegal drugs as well. I was the epitome of a wild party animal, and I loved every second of it. But over the last few years I've changed completely in that respect, and now the only illegal drug I do is weed (and I don't consider that a drug, or nearly half as harmful as governments worldwide will have you believe - but they have to say that because cannabis isn't a nice, taxable drug, is it? ;) one of our chiefs of drugs protocol was actually sacked a few years back for saying he didn't think cannabis was as dangerous as cigarettes or alcohol...the government wanted to silence him, an actual expert on the matter!!) and as for drinking, I hardly touch alcohol at all. I had a drink to toast the 50th anniversary of Marilyn Monroe's untimely passing last Saturday, and before that I simply cannot remember the last time I had a drink. The last time I was drunk was over a year ago too, I just don't like it any more and don't feel the need to drink to be socially comfortable.

I always find as you've experienced it is other people who have the problem with it, they cannot be comfortable in the fact another person doesn't want to drink, and then that's where their own silly guesses come flooding in. When I gave up booze a good few years ago because I wanted to have a few months of being completely clean of it my friends really made it hard for me. 'Oh, we'll buy you drinks if you can't afford them' was what the said. 'Guys, I can afford alcohol, I just don't want any'. 'Oh come on, have a drink with us, have some fun!' they then said. 'Why do I need alcohol to be fun? Sorry, do you think I'm boring without it?' I'd reply. 'Oh no of course you aren't, but we're on a night out, it's the whole point!' they'd reply. 'Really? The whole point to a night out is alcohol, are you serious?' I'd ask. They'd then think I was looking down my nose at them!!!! WHAT??????? Not at all! I wasn't chastising their desire to drink at all, I was merely trying to make them see I wasn't a freak because I didn't want to drink! In the end one of my very vocal friends Chris just shook his head and boomed 'IF ALL SHE WANTS IS A COLA, THEN THAT'S ALL SHE WANTS! LEAVE HER BE!' and after that I was left alone to enjoy my carbonated soft drink in peace, hahahaha!

No, sweetheart. You are NOT the one with the problem. I wish people could be more understanding to the wishes of others, and that your wish is to remain teetotal. I commend you for being steadfast in your choice :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:56 am 
Tillicious Girl
Tillicious Girl

Location: Es gibt keinen guten Weg etwas Schlechtes zu tun. (There is no good way to do a bad thing.) T. L.
Hmm... :shock:

Somehow I get the feeling I'm "taken out of context" a bit. I don't "do drugs" either. I just said those who did, back when it was very popular, thought I must be high too and stopped bugging me about not drinking. Which was nice.

I can get loose enough without help. If I really want to, I can get a false high off the histamines of my allergies. I just take what small odd sensation I have and meditate on it... expand it...

I don't recommend illegals simply because it makes life VERY complex if you get A: caught, B: involved with the Drug Trade. I'm so clean my doctor thinks I'm a liar. "Nobody your age" doesn't blah blah blah... :rolling:

Gotta change doctors again. :brr:

All of these should be personal choices, :hug: never driven by others' whims or by your bad chemistry. (You shouldn't "need" a drink very often or very much.)

:fire: :twisted: :fire: Till Lindemann is my anger-management coach. He says I'm flunking. :fire: :evil: :fire:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:01 am 

I have the occasional drink, but can't get drunk as after a couple of glasses I just start to feel ill. I don't like feeling ill, so never have more than a couple of glasses. I guess some would say I've not built up any tolerance or anything due to not drinking very often. Personally I don't want to build up any tolerance. I'm good as I am. I don't like feeling out of control either, and I don't like being around drunk people. Alcohol has a horrible effect on a couple of people I'm very close to, it turns them into nasty bitter people. And a relative of mine is an alcoholic. It's horrible. And though I know many people are very responsible, myself and my close friends included, it doesn't stop me having a generally negative attitude towards drunkeness. I try to be tolerant, but I can't help feeling incredibly nervous around people who are drunk.

I respect your decision and choice. I wish more people would feel like you actually. And I find it really depressing that some people feel the need to drink in order to have a good time. Good on you for not wanting to give in to peer pressure, though it's really crap that you're being pressured. Why can't some people just respect the decisions of others? My younger sister is part of the current binge drinking culture, and she always has a rubbish time on nights out, as well as a terrible hangover afterwards. Where's the fun in that? Really? Stand by your choice. It doesn't make you a nerd or anything. It makes you someone who doesn't feel the need to resort to drink to have a good time. It makes you a strong person, to stand by your beliefs and principles. Personally I really admire you for your stance. Keep it up, even if your friends can't understand.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:18 am 
RichBitch
RichBitch

^^Just to check, Moreach, was your reply there directed at me? For taking you out of context? Just to say in case it was, I didn't even read your post, I was specifically replying to Iroto-Chan :hug:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:11 am 
Tillicious Girl
Tillicious Girl

nola! 'Course not! :hug:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:01 am 

Luckily I've got reflux to the point where I can't really drink or it comes up. Sure I'll occasionally drink a beer, but that's because I love the taste. I treat it like a soda. I'm not going to sit and down a case of soda. So I don't do that with beer. Plus, I have never been drunk. I couldn't keep enough alcohol in my stomach to be drunk.

I think drinking is a waste anyway. It costs too much money. You have to pay top dollar to get alcohol of decent quality.

Alcohol is used by some people to help there problems, but when get down to it, alcohol creates more problems than it helps.

Smoking is the same way. I used to smoke near a pack a day. I thought it helped my stress, but when I was somewhere like school, I'd stress out about not being able to smoke. People that have alcohol dependency do the same thing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:23 am 
Tillicious Girl
Tillicious Girl

Glad to know that I've found some understanding here! Thank you for your replies, girls! :hug:
Something's going on, Moreach (regarding "friendship" stuff) One of my friends commented (half-jokingly) that she "wouldn't take me to any parties anymore, because I always kept my mind fresh, and witnessed things others wouldn't like me to remember".
And now, everyone seemed to have wanished into thin air. I mean, I don't care that much anymore. It shouldn't be my problem. I want to stay asertive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:44 am 
Olli Dolly
Olli Dolly

@Rosenrot; your post was spot on; that's exactly how I feel about drinking. Yes, I do drink, but like you I know my limits and I have never been drunk at all, nor do I have any plans to, despite people saying to me they'll get me drunk (the most they ever got me to do was down a vodka and coke. Bleurgh.) I see no appeal whatsoever in getting drunk: I think it's the thought of that loss of control that puts me off the most. My drinking habits mainly involve a glass of wine when I go out to a restaurant or a glass of wine with my parents at the weekend. I generally stay away from spirits as well (although I am rather fond of a glass of Archers and lemonade).

@Iroto-chan: There is absolutely nothing wrong at all with not wanting to drink and/or get drunk, and good on you for not giving in to any peer pressure :hug: :hug: :hug:

Last edited by AnzaBabes93 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.