Rosenrot logo

Rosenrot - Rammstein Fan Forum -

A place for fans of Rammstein to gather.
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Women's Health Rights Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:33 pm 
Rosenrot Donator
Rosenrot Donator

Location: In Till's Pants... and he's going to be SO angry when he finds out I've got them!
Speaking of 'reproductive choice':
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10897927

A scumbag GP here in NZ is refusing to prescribe contraceptives for women until they've fulfilled their 'reproductive duty', and recommending that women as young as 16 use the rhythm method to prevent themselves from getting pregnant :/

Not to mention the fact that there's no information being given at all about keeping safe from STI's or other infections.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people using natural contraception, but it's a whole different thing when their CHOICE is taken away.

And as he's part of a PHO (primary health organisation) you can guarantee he's claiming plenty of sweet tax payer dollars to dish out this crappy advice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:10 pm 
Mistress of Ceremonies (admin)

The article said that the clinic's pamphlets indicated that not all doctors there will prescribe contraceptives. I don't think that's enough - there should also be a sign in plain view stating this too. Not all people will read the pamphelts.

Additionally, when a patient books an appointment, the receptionist will ask the reason for the appointment. This would also be an opportunity to advise the patient that a doctor doesn't prescribe birth control - and offer to book an appointment with one who does. If a doctor doesn't wish to provide a certain service, fine - but then too it's important - and obligatory - for the patient to be referred to another doctor for the requested service.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:12 am 

Bad news for those in Texas who believe a woman's right to reproductive choice is HER decision: http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/texas-gove ... -1.1372463

I have to admit that I'm really unhappily surprised at the only handful of members responding to these types of threads. I recognise that RR is a band-centred forum, but then too, other, non R+ related threads seem popular.

I'll keep my thoughts to myself as to why these more "real life", "serious" threads don't garner much interest. :...:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:41 am 
RichBitch
RichBitch

I can't speak for them, Barb, but I do know of people in my own life who get quite upset discussing such issues, and for that would prefer not to (maybe out of past experience, which is why we keep the Cypriot/Turkish conflict out of anything we - my family - say to my father as he was out there serving in the army, and saw some horrific things :cry: ) I just used that as a 'best' (most acceptable excuse for no input?) case example, maybe for some the issues hit too close to home, and they're not comfortable talking about it. I always try and see the good first, I know, it's insufferable to a degree and I see this!! :lol:

Anyway, back on track. The worst? People just don't care about issues that truly should concern us all. This thread in particular, it should be of importance to discuss for women. Again, not addressing anyone here specifically or generally with this statement, but it saddens me when people are more enamored with celebrities and celebrity culture rather than the women who are out there making a true difference. It pee's me off, seeing people more interested in what say, Rihanna has to say rather than say, Malala Yousafzai.

Moving on to Texas...I wonder how Rick Perry would react if suddenly he had no rights over his own reproductive organs? This is just obscene, it honestly is, to dictate what a woman can do with her own womb, and fruit of it. So, Wendy Davis' plight and near twelve hours on her feet fighting for women was all for nothing? Shameful. I'm absolutely appalled that people in this day and age can be such misogynistic chauvinists. I just...I cannot say anything else right now. I'm too angry on behalf of every woman in Texas. I'll be busy with this rage for a while... :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:51 pm 

@ nola: I purposely waited a few days before posting - just to see if anyone else had any thoughts to convey. Sadly, well, we can both see what happened.

You bring up a strong point - about purposely staying away from tender issues. I know we did this to a certain extent in our own family, too. Another thing is that some members here may not have a heck of a lot of time - they can only "skim" the topics and hopefully return later to comment.

Most, I'd venture, simply aren't interested. It might be that the subject is too "in depth" and complicated; it might be that it's not "glamourous" enough to warrant anything more than a passing glance online should they see a news article (I don't think such persons read books on these types of issues, much less have an interest of current world affairs). Many are far too enamoured with "celebrity culture" (as you earlier noted).

Yes, the latest misogynistic rap video carries a heavier weight of importance than the ongoing erosion of a woman's legal rights to to choose what happens in her own body. I want to throw up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:07 am 
RichBitch
RichBitch

^Really sad, isn't it? Especially when we have courageous young women like this standing up and speaking in front of the UN...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5X70VyjU0g

Not related to women's health rights (although I am sure Malala would and will fight for those too!) I just want to hug her and tell her she makes me proud to be a woman, standing bravely in the face of The Taliban, who were so very scared of one little girl, they had to try and kill her. THAT is strength, to to not only survive her ordeal, but to go on to speak on behalf of countless faceless, nameless people who've lost their lives because of their brutal agenda. This is the very model of a brave young lady, with more important things to say than, "There's a thug in my life, how'ma gonna tell my mama, she gonna say it ain't right, but he's so good to me. There's a thug in my life, and its gonna cause crazy drama. I'm gonna see him tonight, I'm gonna give him everything." Those are Rihanna lyrics, singing about a 'thug' (gangster) she's in love with. Sorry, Rih, but that doesn't stand up against, "They are afraid of women, the power of the voice of women frightens them!" among everything else she said above!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:53 pm 
Rosenrot Donator
Rosenrot Donator

Location: In Till's Pants... and he's going to be SO angry when he finds out I've got them!
^ she's an UNBELIEVABLY brave girl! God, when I was her age I was so shy I couldn't have stood up infront of my class at school, let alone an assembly like that. I can only hope that my daughter grows up to be half as courageous as Malala!

Further to my post up there^:
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/5-doctors-who-just-gave-worlds-worst-medical-advice/

you KNOW your advice is sh :x: when cracked.com are taking the piss out of it.... good one Dr Lee.... :headwall:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:23 am 

^ Don't you wonder if a patient(s) have already emailed him that link? :wink:

Here's an interesting and very sad story out of Vancouver recently. In a nutshell, a pregnant woman out for a walk one night in the scummiest area of town (red flags waving yet, anyone?) gave birth. Police and paramedics attended.

THEN we find out the mother gave birth to twins. She has obvious mental health issues - she was holding one baby by the neck and squeezing him/her as she was birthing the second. Police had to intervene immediately. Now the infants are in the care of the government (rightfully so). Here's the story link if you'd like to read it yourself: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/twins-born-in-vanc ... -1.1385255

While I feel terrible for the mother and her likely hellish load of troubles, my heart goes out to those helpless babies. I wonder what would have happened had she *not* gone into labour and given birth in a public place? What might have happened to those babies? I don't think the mother would have been too focussed on the babies she was carrying: regular medical checkups, nutritious food and everything a pregnant mother needs. There are a great many support services in this area for people with "challenges", and maybe she accessed some of them, maybe not. We don't know.

My point is that she clearly was not able to adequately care for herself - so how on earth should she be responsible for her infants? Maybe she's had previous babies/children taken away, who knows? And what fate do these little babies face - being raised in foster care and maybe being bounced back and forth between their mother (in hopes of establishing a "bond" with them and trying to teach her to look after them properly) and foster care (when these efforts don't succeed)? Not the greatest of lives.

There are so many details that we don't know, such as if the mother is an active substance abuser (in that area, it's pretty much a given) - and who knows, maybe the infants have been damaged in utero because of this. Maybe the mother can get better, maybe not. Will she have more babies after these ones, for example? Has she had others in the past? Now, please don't take this the wrong way and start calling me a right-wing neo Nazi or anything (I'm not) - but realistically speaking - why should this woman subject her infants to "abuse" in utero via her challenged lifestyle (and almost killing one by squeezing the baby's neck)? Everyone has "rights" in our society - but at what point do we consider the "rights" of these poor babies? Do they not have the "right" to be given a decent chance in life - and how can they get that in their current circumstances, born to a mother with serious mental health troubles (and possible other issues) - and in the worst area of Vancouver? They can't. I think that in such cases, there needs to be some sort of mechanism to prevent pregnancy in women with such obvious, ongoing and horrific challenges. Obviously taking birth control pills is *not* an option, so having a regular shot of Depo-Provera given by a visiting community nurse (or having her tubes tied) would be likely solutions.

What do you think? What would you suggest be done?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:05 pm 

I know the US system, so that is a big part.

Easy and affordable access to birth control with education on using whatever form correctly is a fight to get. I have two disorders that mean a pregnancy is not a good idea at all, plus family history of very severe PPD. That's strictly medical reasoning on why I should not have biological children.

I'm a teacher. I love my job. I love helping develop good citizens. I'm not a child hater. But, ethically speaking - there are always children in foster care here. I don't feel it's ethically or morally right to use nasty drugs, have a doctor creating the fertilized egg, putting some in, hoping it works, then spending the entire pregnancy in the hospital on extremely restrictive bed rest, still over 75% of fatality for me prior to 24 weeks when there are children who want and need parents already. That's for me only., if someone feels the opposite, that's them.

But, gak. Getting the birth control that I need? Ha. Give me the IUD, granted I'm unlikely to get pregnant without birth control, but I am married so I'd like to be protected. Nope, don't need that, why would I consider birth control. THEN, when I found a doctor, I had to have hubby's permission! Excuse me?!?!?! Last I checked, it's MY uterus, not his.

I'm highly educated and had reasonably appropriate sex ed in school. So I understood how my pills worked. But, I can find more than a few women and girls who don't have the education. More than a few think it's the same as aspirin, use the pills when you need them.

Now add in cost. If you don't have insurance, cheapest pill is around $9 for 28 days. That's more than one hour of work at minimum wage. But, pregnant or having a child can bump you into qualifying for help with nearly everything.

S, hard to get birth control, lack of basic education and a system that promotes having children you can't afford. There's nothing good coming from this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:28 pm 

^ I don't want to derail your post just on this one point - but WHAT?!?! You cannot access birth control without your husband's *permission*? Sorry...what country did you say you lived in - Saudi Arabia...something like that???

Truly...I'm reeling. Clearly, not much progress has been made regarding birth control since the early 1900s (or so), when it was a crime in the U.S. to disseminate (pun intended) birth control *information*.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:45 am 

^ That was good old Atlanta Georgia. Because an IUD isn't any easily reversed form of birth control (bull, I've already changed mine once, super easy), hubby had to be ok with using one. Thankfully, DH was in the room because I was extremely sick on pills, so he was trying to keep me from passing out and thus why I needed the IUD and DH did not play nice at all with that. The parting shot I think was doc could let hubby order me around when doc had shoved an IUD up his :censored: and into his bladder. I don't recall everything, but what I kind of got makes Pussy and MGM seem like sweet, harmless children's songs.

He gave up, called Planned Parenthood while we were at a drive thru so I got sugar in me, they got me in the next day, saw the nurse practictioner who got about 15 seconds into my history, stopped, said I needed the IUD and she'd be right back. Had one in within the hour and I know they didn't do the full billing because we didn't pay much at all and insurance wasn't covering PP.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:11 am 

I like that end result at Planned Parenthood much, much better. Bada bing, bada boom - you got what you needed - finally!

In parting, is that even LEGAL - what that doctor did?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:35 am 

Actually, yup - or it was some years ago. I'm not sure if there's been changes. I just go to Planned Parenthood now. Who doesn't give a flying pig if I'm married or not, but I want an IUD, so I get one. Plus, my insurance now covers PP, so they get the full cost which helps with their ability to give reduced costs to those who need it.

Which is part on why I really find a lot of systems are meant to keep people having children irresponsibly, so it's a hard and nasty cycle to break. If I, who has the money to do so, has to fight to get easy to use, hard to fail with birth control - what is someone without the education and money going to do, when they get paid to have children.

Then, I can dislike that issue, but how do we fix it without screwing over children who have done nothing to ask to be in this mess.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:49 am 
RichBitch
RichBitch

Woah...I have never, ever felt so lucky to live in the country I do were birth control is concerned. What I do to get my contraceptive pills -

1. Phone up surgery, book appointment with either my nurse or GP.
2. Go in for appointment, have blood pressure test and a nice chat with said nurse or GP.
3. Be handed my prescription.
4. Go to the pharmacy, hand over prescription, wait five minutes, have my contraceptives for the next six months.
5. Fees? Don't be silly, this is England! :D

It makes my heart hurt tremendously though, that women such as you, TrippedMetalDetector, have to be patronised in that way, and told that your husband has more choice over what you do with your uterus than you do, and then charged for contraceptives that our NHS gives away so freely that a lot of American's are like :shock: over the ease any person, man, woman or young sexually active teen can get themselves free contraceptives. Our country virtually throw them at us, like "here, you have sex by all means, just be safe about it, let us help you out there!" *suddenly, raining condoms* :lol: No, to be serious again and treat this issue with the decency it deserves, TMD, reading your story, how you were treated, it absolutely sickens and angers me! Total, "The man must make the decisions! Women aren't that smart, the poor little dears." OH DO ME A DAMN FAVOUR!! Susan B Anthony would spin in her grave if she could see the way women are being treated in the very homeland where she started her courageous, precious work to fight for the equal rights of women, that over one hundred years since she died, this is the state of those alleged 'rights', that women are still treated as second class citizens, and definitely second to their husbands! This is NOT acceptable! Our body, our periods, our uterus, OUR CHOICE. When we can tell a man what he can or cannot do with his testicles, then men can have a damn say over what we do or do not do to our bodies!

To move back a bit and address BeeKay, your post on the pregnant women with mental health issues giving birth in the street, you ask a very credible question there, just what those precious little ones could have suffered at the hands of their mentally unsound mother, should she have given birth alone. I shudder to think. What I want to know though, since the evidence is quite clearly there (grasping the newborn around the neck as well as the testimony of the attending officer that she was known to them) that she's not mentally capable of motherhood, why was she pregnant in the first place? Sounds to me like she needed to be under the care of (what is known over here as) a social worker or community helper, someone who pops by weekly/whenever it necessary to the particular patient to make sure they are managing, if they're deemed capable of living out in society rather than a clinic. Why were these provisions not put in place to stop this very thing, something which it seems she's not mentally fit enough to cope with, from happening? It begs the question why, if she's that unsound, was she ever left to her own devices in the first place? I can't help but think she's been failed here, that she should have been better taken care of in her illness so that this very thing didn't happen, and that two children would be placed in foster care through no fault of their own. I feel for those babies, I really do. I feel for their mother as well, because we just don't know how sick she is, but she sounds like she shouldn't be left alone, needs care in a clinic or something, especially since she's already known to police. Again, there are a lot of details we don't know, so I've had to resort to a bit of guess work, but I can't help but think all three have been failed here. I hope she gets the help she really needs, and I hope those babies go on to live a bright, hopeful, happy and safe future, whether that's with a rehabilitated mother or not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:42 am 

Had I not been that sick - it was a reaction to soy and lactose with then untreated thyroid disorder, I literally puked everything solid or semi solid up, I was barely keeping soda down. We were playing the switch pill forms game when the last one just wrecked me because it also had wheat gluten and higher dose of hormones. - I'd have been kicking the morons rear. I'm big enough, may as well use it. But, I was constantly close to passing out, so my big, scary, not very nice husband was having to carry me or I'd be on the ground. He'd have signed paperwork, but Jerkpants was trying to talk him out of it. Which is when the comments got made.

I love my mean, scary, evil husband.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next