Rosenrot logo

Rosenrot - Rammstein Fan Forum -

A place for fans of Rammstein to gather.
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: The Women's Health Rights Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:04 pm 
Mistress of Ceremonies (admin)

@ TMD: I know the Equal Rights Ammendment (ERA) went down in flames there some time ago (don't get me started on *that* topic or I know I'll start breathing fire), so I'm wondering if such sexist and restrictive practices regarding birth control are perhaps one result of this? Even so, I'm still having a h*ll of a time trying to wrap my little, feminine mind (jk, of course!) around the fact that you can *LEGALLY* be denied birth control if your husband objects. :headwall: :headwall: :headwall:

@ nola: You hit the nail on the head. I'll try to explain in a nutshell. About 30 years ago, some politicians *insert genius meme* had the bright idea to "de-institutionalise" a majority of mental health patients, assuring everyone that there would be plenty of "supports" for them in the community. Only the sickest of the sick remained in the mental hospital, all others were released into the community.

These supports never materialised to the full extent that was required, leaving these unfortunate souls without any sort of "safety nets", and they were forced to exist as best they could on their own. This is why there is an increased, noticeable presence of "street-entrenched" people today. What a bloody crime. Of course this is a hugely complicated issue, but the gist is that while there are gov't.-based health teams that do outreach to street people and those in the infamously scummy "Single Room Occupancy" ("SRO") hotels in the poorest, most decrepit area of Vancouver, but the need FAR outpaces the limited resources allocated. Social service non-profits and church groups step in to pick up the slack, but even they are forced at times to turn people away. Of course, many of these street-entrenched folks with serious mental issues come into conflict with the law. Police units in this area (I truly feel sorry for them, as they're not social workers/mental health experts) have a great deal of contact with these unfortunates for a huge array of reasons. Police are also essentially a "taxi service" - taking those with DTs/delusions, suicidal - you name it - to the nearest hospital, St. Paul's.

There was a newspaper article not too long ago about the complicated "challenges" (a polite choice of word) St. Paul's staff regularly faces with these types of patients. I also feel sorry for this hospital's staff - it must at times be hell working there. For example, the hospital has an ongoing issue with street people stealing the hand sanitizer containers placed on the walls throughout the hospital. They drink the hand sanitizer for the alcohol content.

Sadly, those persons who would have been fairly stable in the institution - where it was certain they would get the medication and counselling help they so desperately required - once outside, were unable to care for themselves and unable to stick to a medication schedule. The side effects of some of these medications are often worse than the symptoms they're supposed to treat, so many (understandably) don't want to take their meds. Living on the street, they didn't have to, thus opening the door for the full blown symptoms to appear. Then add alcohol and drugs - as the unfortunate patient will self medicate - and the problems grow exponentially. For the women, they face the terrible realities of survival prostitution - and the real potential of getting murdered by a john. You might have heard of the serial murderer Robert Picton http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton - who murdered prostitutes and dismembered them? He admitted to killing 49 women. His hunting grounds for his victims was the infamous Downtown Eastside of Vancouver - the same area where this mentally ill woman gave birth to her twins.

Before I meander on, I'll stop.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:06 am 
RichBitch
RichBitch

^You know, I just felt sadder, and sadder, and sadder the more of that I read. What a terrible state of affairs. It just seems to me like the city has washed their hands of them, and that's that. But, I bet they've got the cheek to complain about the problems...ALL because of that stupid choice they made some 30 years ago which to me, they just didn't think through. I mean, can they not do basic maths or something? Did they not work out before they released these people an accurate number of care persons within the community who would be needed to keep an eye on them? I wonder what they expected to happen, or if they really truly cared at all about the knock on effect. Hospitals are challenged, as are the police, and these neglected people are exasperating their problems by self medicating, simply because they don't have the care of a health professional to help them with medication issues (to be fair, the despair they must feel has probably lead to that self medication too!) and suggest different trials of other drugs to try and balance the effects...and all this because the powers that be decided this was a good idea and would save them a bit of money too... :roll: I wonder what the costs in dealing with these people on the streets have rolled into in the past 30 years? How terrible the irony would be if it exceeded the cost of keeping them in hospitals and clinics!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:52 pm 

I know. It's beyond heartbreaking - it's a crying shame. The cost in human suffering I would think is incalculable. There might even be a study kicking around somewhere that estimates the costs of deinstitutionalising - police, hospital, court time, jail time, social worker time, legal aid time, health care costs, social assistance (welfare) monies administered to these people...and that's just off the top of my head.

I'd wager that the costs would have been far, far lower had these people been kept in the institutions. But all it takes is for one politician to think of an "idea" - in keeping with (what I call) "the flavour of the day" in terms of theories/sentiments as to how to best care for these people - and the decision is made to put the "idea" into practice. These so-called "ideas" look so good on paper and give the gov't. in power something to crow about running up to election time. They can also say how much money they will be saving by kicking these people out of the institutions. Sounds good, right?

Our politicians and other administrators also seem to invariably choose "reactive" measures to deal with problematic issues - that are ultimately far more costly to the public purse. Pro-active measures would be far better, but the politicians don't want to fund such initiatives - even in the long run when doing so would be CHEAPER.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:18 pm 
Rosenrot Donator
Rosenrot Donator

Location: In Till's Pants... and he's going to be SO angry when he finds out I've got them!
I'm not sure if this fits into this thread 100% - but it's womens rights related.

This made me feel sick:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/9071885/Schoolgirls-virginity-to-be-checked

A district education board in Sumatra, Indonesia, has been condemned for a plan which will see girls undergo a virginity test before they are allowed to attend high school.

I'm guessing girls who've been sexually abused will have no rights to a high school level education?

And boys? I'm guessing there's no test for them.

Appaulling.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:08 am 
Tillicious Girl
Tillicious Girl

Speaking of sexual abuse, this story came into my Facebook feed this morning...

Raped and Impregnated at 14, Girl Must Now Share Parental Rights with Her Attacker

Link

This may not be health related in a physical sense, but I imagine this whole ordeal is mentally tortuous to the victim and her family, and it's just WRONG. No woman should ever have to be forced to cooperate with her rapist. It's stuff like this that makes me lose faith in humanity. :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7