Rosenrot logo

Rosenrot - Rammstein Fan Forum -

A place for fans of Rammstein to gather.
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Groupies
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:41 pm 
RichBitch
RichBitch

Oh, and this is a good read. A very graphic one too!!! - http://www.harpercollins.com/books/Last ... 0061992490

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:49 pm 
Mistress of Ceremonies (admin)

Just an FYI: I've merged an earlier thread on similar issues into this new one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:52 pm 
RichBitch
RichBitch

Ahhhh cheers BeeKay, I didn't think to see if one actually existed :oops: lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:05 pm 

^ It's always a good idea to check first; but mind you, this one was on the 3rd page, too. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:17 am 
Tillicious Girl
Tillicious Girl

Location: Deep in the jungle searching for the elusive Doomaconda!
Sable starr was a groupie from the age of 13, she slept with many people...by the time she was 17, she was a drug addict and very disillusioned it's very sad...There were a few underage girls in the 70s scene.

If you've ever read 'please kill me' about the 70s US punk scene, some of the musicians are very down on the girls....well it takes two to tango doesn't it???

If she's a slut, you're a slut :roll:

Your eyes can be so cruel, just as I can be so cruel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:14 am 
RichBitch
RichBitch

^No I haven't read that. It doesn't surprise me though, I know a lot of punks frowned on sex in general back then (I'll have to sit my old punk mate Blondie down and ask him why- he's a wealth of info on the punk scene from 1970's to present day), and if they did partake in sex and didn't frown upon it the girls weren't exactly what you'd call respected. Anyone heard the stories of Nancy Spungen, pre-Sid? Yikes...but then again that girl was off her rocker anyway. She wasn't called 'nauseating Nancy' for nothing so I don't expect anyone to have spoken about her highly. I think the only person with anything kind to say about her at all in the years that followed her death was Debbie Harry, who was good friends with Nancy.

+ Oh yes, you're absolutely right! If the girls they are sleeping with are sluts, what does that make them? Exactly the same! But of course, it isn't labelled like that is it? Women always have and always will be chastised for having a high number of sexual partners, whereas men as positively applauded for it! I guess this could be another reason for groupies to be frowned upon. The juxtapose of a woman behaving like a man sexually is just too much for some people to stand. I think its one of the most irritating double standards in the world!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:47 am 
Tillicious Girl
Tillicious Girl

Have you read "I don't want to live this life" by Nancy Spungen's mother Deborah? It offers an interesting view on Nancy. According to her mom, Nancy always had problems and possibly an undiagnosed condition. It is really sad and makes you feel more sympathy towards Nancy as it seems she was not a very well girl. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-Want-Live-This-Life/dp/0449911411/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320316475&sr=8-2
(I'm a bit of a geek who reads a lot, and the past music scenes interest me)

I dislike the double standard....The whole Slut vs Stud thing...It's stupid. Either you're both 'sluts' or you're both virile sexy people!

I guess I don't like 'groupies' who act like somone is a god because they have a dick and a guitar(or microphone etc!)...and allow them to treat them like shit because of it. At the end of the day, they're just a man, respect yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:58 am 
SchneiderSexual
SchneiderSexual

^ Totally agreed stardust. Whoever he is, he's just a man. The whole "rockstars are total gods" thing irritates me. And maybe if people stopped acting like they were total gods, some rockstars themselves would stop acting like they were total gods :roll:

I think that's part of why Led Zep et. al got away/get away with all they stuff they did, when if an average guy in the street did it, he'd be arrested/in prison/shunned by society. Because if you're a rockstar, it must be okay! :doh:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:01 am 
RichBitch
RichBitch

^^That book is on my list of things I must read! I have read about Nancy's life, and I do feel sorry for her because she was obviously mentally ill right from the beginning (being sedated as a baby spells that out loud and clear). I think the life she lead exasperated that condition beyond anyone's control, let alone her own. The drugs certainly didn't help her. Perhaps if Nancy had lived in these times, she might have survived. They might have treated her mental illness more successfully, but then again sometimes if you're on a path of self destruction, nothing can take you off it. She was the one who got Sid into heroin, and I hate her for that but at the same time, it was completely up to him to start tapping his veins. My friends' mum met Sid, and she said he was such a lovely, thoughtful and quiet boy if you just got him on his own. If Johnny Rotten was around, out would come the maniac side of Sid. She told me he appeared to be very easily influenced by those he hung around with, and said herself she felt that maybe he'd have survived if he hadn't have met Nancy.

One thing I will say about her though, she tried her hardest in her own way to help Sid with his solo career when he left the pistols. There he was, an icon for being Sid Vicious basically, but who couldn't play bass (even Lemmy from Motorhead tried and failed to teach him how to play) but she saw talent in him and stuck by him when she could have just turned her back to favour the company of a more talented musician. There's is a very sad story of groupie/musician love gone very, very wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:40 am 
Tillicious Girl
Tillicious Girl

The fact is though, a 20 year old girl was stabbed to death....and those on the scene have been quoted as saying they didn't care, or they laughed about it.

That's what makes me so sad about Nancy. No one deserves that. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:03 am 
RichBitch
RichBitch

No, she certainly didn't deserve that fate. I'm glad that there's another person out there who has some sympathy for her. I don't love her but I don't hate her either. I see why she was the way she was. I don't believe for one minute that Sid killed her either. Eye witnesses say he was passed out on tranquilizers all night, and that's why he was so confused when he came around and found Nancy dead. One of the dealers that hung around with them at the Chelsea said that with what Sid had taken (the actual name of the tranquilizer escapes me at the moment) there is no way he'd have even woken up, let alone been in a fit state to stand up, hold a knife, and stab Nancy to death with it.

Anyway, this thread is becoming quite sad as we remember poor Nancy so lets move on. Do you remember Pamela Des Barres account of the first time she met Mick Jagger, and screamed and ran away? :rolling:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:42 am 
Tillicious Girl
Tillicious Girl

^That would be me if I ever bumped into Till...I'd be more likely to scream and run away then try anything..It would just overwhelm me! :lol:

PS I don't believe Sid killed nancy there were so many dodgy people hanging about and Sid was out of his mind on tranquillisers as you mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:51 am 
RichBitch
RichBitch

Yeah I'd like to think I'd be all cool too but I'd probably melt and go all shy. Just like I did when I met Chi Cheng from Deftones when I was fifteen hahaha! He gave me a hug and I just let out a little squeak of embarrassment and hid my face in his shoulder while everyone laughed and said 'awwww'. My cheeks, like this - :oops: hehehe!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:06 pm 

Can we steer towards the topic of groupies in general, please. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:23 pm 
Tillicious Girl
Tillicious Girl

Sorry Beekay I have a tendency to go off on a tangent during conversation... :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next