Rosenrot logo

Rosenrot - Rammstein Fan Forum -

A place for fans of Rammstein to gather.
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Foreign Language Films
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:32 pm 
Soul Therapist
Soul Therapist

I'm becoming a big fan of Asian horror films, particularly ones from Korea. I really liked H and Oldboy. I've also recently started watching some of Japanese director Takashi Miike's movies. I loved his movie Audition!

Actually, I'm starting to think French horror films are pretty damn good also. I really liked Frontier(s) & High Tension. American horror films (with the few exceptions) have become a great disappointment to me....

Has anyone seen the movie Antibodies? Its a German movie that's been compared to Silence of the Lambs, I'm thinking of buying it....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:39 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

I'm sure you've heard of Ichi the Killer and Suicide Club, then. BOth really good movies, but the endings are....well different :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:59 pm 
Soul Therapist
Soul Therapist

Reeshybuns wrote:
I'm sure you've heard of Ichi the Killer and Suicide Club, then. BOth really good movies, but the endings are....well different :lol:

Yes I have! I actually just bought Ichi the Killer about a month ago & I've thought about buying Suicide Club.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:55 am 
Olli Dolly
Olli Dolly

A couple of good German films to check out:

The Miracle of Bern (Das Wunder von Bern) - all about Germany winning the 1954 football world cup, very sweet film :)

Downfall (Der Untergang) - all about Hitler's final days. Not the most cheerful of films ever (basically, everyone commits suicide :shock:) but very good nonetheless

Last edited by AnzaBabes93 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:42 pm 
Rosenrot Donator
Rosenrot Donator

I'll recommend two movies I've seen recently in my Post-Wall cinema class:

1. Das Versprechen (The Promise) - A movie about a young couple who are split up during an escape attempt to West Germany from the East. The young man stays in the East, while his girlfriend goes to the West. The movie follows the two characters from the early 1960s up until re-unification, examining the effects that being in separate systems had both on their relationship and their lives.

2. Nikolaikirche (The Church of St. Nicholas) - Follows a family after the death of their high-ranking father in East Germany. The daughter finds herself becoming more and more at odds with the state, and her brother - a Stasi agent - struggles between loyalty to his family and loyalty to his superiors. The film is named for die Nikolaikirche in Leipzig, where anti-government demonstrations broke out and foreshadowed the end of the communist government. Throughout the movie, we witness the growing numbers of dissenters congregating at the church. There are also quite a few famous actors in this movie. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:49 am 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

^ they sound very interesting, i may have to order them ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:24 pm 
Olli Dolly
Olli Dolly

Thanks, Stahlgeist :) :hug: :hug:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:36 pm 
Rosenrot Donator
Rosenrot Donator

You're welcome! :) We've got more interesting films coming up this year... I will likely be recommending them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:14 am 

I've only watched German movies, and these are them:

Der Himmel Über Berlin - a bit hard to follow I found without subtitles, but I am only 17, so that's probably why, and I was 15 when I saw it.
7 Zwerge - a bit of a joke-film to be honest; it's quite good, but can be quite a select humour.
Asterix & Obelix - quite good I really enjoyed that movie, it was very funny.
I've also seen Harry Potter 6 and Ice Age 3 in German

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:22 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

i hope that trailer is in english: becuause i dont have speakers on my pc right now but i want to show you an sad movie calling :

die edelweisspiraten :cry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edy4al00UPU its an sad movie about fighting the nazis from the underground - it based on an true story about a group of kids. i saw that in the night once and i was shocked what i saw :shock: because the actors where been so real .....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:40 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

i want to show you an movie called
DER BRANDNER KASPER- UND DAS EWIG LEBEN
it is based on an very very old bavarian story :

Background on the history [edit]
The underlying "Gschicht of Brandner Kaspar" is one of the most popular Bavarian folk plays and describes with much humor and many fantasy elements, the story of a Tegernsee gunsmith, who outwitted death (in Bavarian: Boandlkramer) and him playing cards entice many more years of life makes. Based on a story by Franz von Kobell enjoys the substance since its formation in 1871 very popular and was already used as a template for many successful stage adaptations, as well as two classic adaptations.

The role of Brandner Kaspar took the author and the Bavarian actor Franz Xaver Kroetz ( "game changing", "Kir Royal"), played the part of Boandlkramers Michael Herbig. The research was supported by funds from the Film Production Television Fund Bavaria, the German Film Fund, FFA and Cinetirol. The Story of Brandner Kaspar was on 16 October 2008, Concorde Film Distribution launched nationwide in theaters.

History [edit]
Der Brandner Kaspar (Franz Xaver Kroetz), a widowed gunsmith who lives in the middle of the 19th Century, with his grand-daughter Nannerl (Lisa Maria Potthoff) in the mountains near Schliersee. By Toni Young (Peter Ketnath), the Nannerl makes the yard, he improved on his small income by poaching in the forests of the area. Shortly before his seventieth birthday, visited him the Boandlkramer (Michael Bully Herbig), and wants to take it. The wily Kaspar makes the uninvited guest with Kerschgeist (some kind of cherry-jelly-shots with alcohol) drunk and then cheating on him at cards to get thus further twenty-one years more.

But he soon realizes that the life years gained have their downsides. When Nannerl in a hunting accident dies, he accepts the offer of the now-from the heavenly authorities (Peter) Boandlkramers pressed to take a look to heaven and to decide whether he wants to participate earlier in the life of the blessed. He sees his wife and daughter, is rethinking his earthly existence, and finally decided in the Bavarian sky, where there is always sausages and not Prussia to remain.

maybe ii you have questions i can make an extra thread about that story???

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:28 pm 
Mistress of Ceremonies (admin)
Mistress of Ceremonies (admin)

@ PuNky: Sure - I'd like to hear more!
I just checked "Die Edelweisspiraten" - it can be purchased here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edelweiss-Pirat ... B000QJMSDM and here: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/search/ref=pd_l ... ex=blended for those who are interested.

Live a cruelty free life - go vegan.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:55 am 

I watched Irréversible at the movies with my boyfriend years ago. It was disturbingly excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:55 pm 

Das Boot - which I found to be surprisingly good.

The best foreign film of ALL though is Y Tu Mamá También
Simple, sad, sensual and just a lovely movie :-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:03 pm 
Rosenrot Donator
Rosenrot Donator

@Newfie - Das Boot is a great film, widely considered the best film of the "submarine genre".

Also, Y Tu Mamá También was a pretty funny movie. In some ways, it's hard to imagine that the director went on to direct a Harry Potter film.

Recently watched a film called John Rabe. The titular man was a member of the Nazi Party and a representative of Siemens AG in Nanking, China during the Japanese attack on the city in 1937-8, often dubbed "The Rape of Nanking". With a group of other internationals, mainly American, British, and German, Rabe set up and was voted the head of a committee forming a safe zone within Nanking that civilians were permitted to reside in during the battle, and that Japanese soldiers were not supposed to cross into. While Japanese intrusions, rapes, and murders did occur, the efforts of the international committee in China are often tallied to have saved over 200,000 lives.
The film was generally quite historically accurate. The Chinese characters were fictional, and the head of the girls' school's nationality was changed from American to French - possibly because they wanted a greater international representation, and also possibly because the real woman committed suicide in 1941 on account of the crimes and brutality she witnessed. The rest of it seemed to be true to history, with details thrown in such as references to the infamous "contest" between two Japanese officers to behead 100 "enemy combatants", a Nazi party official being depicted with mensur scars (The official is a fictional character, but many high-ranking Nazis did bear mensur scars), and young Chinese women having their hair cut and shaped like boys to try and make them unappealing to Japanese soldiers.
The production process was quite interesting too, as they faced a bit of off-and-on production as a result of current Sino-Japanese relations. Apparently production was halted when the Chinese sought a pipeline deal with the Japanese, but received full Chinese support once the scandal broke about Nanking being ignored in Japanese history books and Japanese "historians" claimed that it was exaggerated.
The film is also multilingual, featuring one of the Chinese languages (Not sure which), Japanese, English, and German. It stars Ulrich Tukur (Das Leben der Anderen/The Lives of Others) and Steve Buscemi.

Another German film I could recommend is Das Experiment, starring Moritz Bleibtreu (Manni from Lola rennt, or Run Lola Run). It's based on an American psychological experiment conducted in the 1970s in which some volunteers were to roleplay as prison guards, while the others roleplayed prisoners. The psychologists intended to study whether the volunteers would adopt their respective roles, and were disturbed to find that the volunteers adapted too well, resulting in brutality and torture. The film modernizes the story and sets it in Germany, rather than in the United States. Bleibtreu is one of the volunteers on the prisoner side, and while the volunteer groups begin the experiment amicably, the psychologists insist on interjecting and creating a sense of boundaries between the guards and prisoners, leading to increasing hostility between the two groups.
Eventually the experiment goes out of control, and guards start crossing the line with mindgames, brutality, and torture. They refuse to end the experiment, and the prisoners are unable to make contact with the psychologists and the world outside to have themselves freed.
The film exaggerates the actual events after a while, but is very true in that it represents the results that the real experiment could possibly have lead to, and how the experiment reflects the mantra "Power corrupts". The film is in German, and was the first movie I watched through without subtitles. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next