Rosenrot logo

Rosenrot - Rammstein Fan Forum -

A place for fans of Rammstein to gather.
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Foreign Language Films
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:08 am 
Olli Dolly
Olli Dolly

Since I want to be able to speak fluent French (and German) sometime in the future, I started getting a couple of French films from HMV last year.

Here's my list of DVDs I actually own:
- The Chorus
- Tell No-One
- A Very Long Engagement
- Astérix & Obélix Contre César (without subs, not even French D:)

Here's my list of films I've seen but not got on DVD:
- La Vie En Rose
- Priceless
- Taxi 1, 2 and 3 (though they didn't appeal to me)
- He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not (plain creepy :shock: )
- Hellphone (on YouTube :lol: )

I wanted to get Paris, Je T'aime but I didn't have the money then the next time I went back to the shop it wasn't there :(

It's a pretty pathetic looking collection right now, and I was wondering if anyone had any other films to suggest? German film suggestions are also welcome (we watched Lola Rennt in German class and part of some movie the German assisstant took in), so long as the films are not higher than a certificate 15 and preferably can be bought in the UK.

Post subject: Re: Foreign Language Films
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:14 am 
Rosenrot Donator
Rosenrot Donator

Hmm, I'm not sure how these films go according to your rating system, but I recommend:

Goodbye, Lenin! - German. About a son trying to conceal the fall of the Soviet Union from his pro-Soviet mother after she falls ill and can't take the stress.
Joyeux Noel - French, German, English. The Christmas Truce in WW1, with soldiers played by actors from their respectful countries and speaking their native languages. Very touching movie.
The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen) - German. One of my favourite movies, if not my favourite. Follows a Stasi man who is monitoring a playwright and his troubled girlfriend, and how he begins to become entangled in their lives. Very good film, though the nudity probably drives up the rating. :(
Das Boot - German. The submarine movie. Stars Juergen Prochnow as a Kaleu (Kapitaen-Leutnant) aboard a U-Boot at a time in the war when the tides are turning against Germany. Portrayed German sailors in a new light for the time, as German soldiers were pretty much either evil or devoid of personality in a lot of cinema up to that point.
M - German. Stars Peter Lorre in his first major role. A child murderer is loose, wanted by both the organized crime syndicates and the police. Who gets to him first?

I'll try to remember more.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:06 am 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

i recommend 'Sonnennallee' - its on a similar line to 'Goodbye Lenin'. also there is 'Downfall' - about the last days of the Third Reich. and i'd highly recommend watching 'Wir Kinder Vom Bahnhoff Zoo'. french films that i've enjoyed, À la folie... pas du tout (He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not), Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, and Delicatessen. also as Stahlgeist said 'The Lives Of Others' is a brilliant film :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:24 am 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

a lot of good suggestions. :) For French I'd like to add Amélie.
For German, in no particular order:
Bella Martha (this was recently destroyed by Hollywood in the remake "No Reservations"....)
Lautlos (not an amazingly wonderful movie, but I liked it and I think the dialogue is pretty simple and very clear... good for learners)
Wer früher stirbt ist länger tot (I really love this movie but you'll probably need the german subtitles, it is in Bavarian! :shock: hehehe)
Silentium (again, subtitles would be good -- this time it's Austrian... but there is some serious sexual content in that one so maybe it is a problem?)
Der dritte Mann (actually an English production, but set in divided Vienna right after the war... should be watched even just for the scenery but subtitles are good again due to dialect)
Aimée & Jaguar (another war movie, but this time with a lesbian love story between a jew in hiding and a nazi army wife...)
Berlin Alexanderplatz (it's looooong, it was a mini-series, but it is very good.... some Berlin dialect and odd old-fashioned speech patterns can be a bit tough maybe...)

Those are the ones I'd recommend off the top of my head but I have a *lot* of German movies, I will have to go through my list and see what else might be good. Anyone in the NY/NJ area who wants to come by for movie nights periodically would be welcome, altho my schedule is kinda crazy so it would probably be weeknights...... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:55 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

NadjaCS wrote:
a lot of good suggestions. :) For French I'd like to add Amélie.
For German, in no particular order:
Bella Martha (this was recently destroyed by Hollywood in the remake "No Reservations"....)
Wer früher stirbt ist länger tot (I really love this movie but you'll probably need the german subtitles, it is in Bavarian! :shock: hehehe)
Der dritte Mann (actually an English production, but set in divided Vienna right after the war... should be watched even just for the scenery but subtitles are good again due to dialect)
Aimée & Jaguar (another war movie, but this time with a lesbian love story between a jew in hiding and a nazi army wife...)

you know "wer früher stirbt ist länger tod??? " i am impressed ^_^ also i think its sooooo cool that you guys know so much german movies :shock: :bounce:

also i have a cup of very good movies

Werner – Beinhart! (comedy - animation)
Go Trabi Go (D-I) (east german - german united comedy movie)
Hitlerjunge Salomon (D-PL-F)
Homo faber (D-F-GR)
Pappa ante Portas
Schtonk!
stalingrad (ww2 drama)
der bewegte mann
Schlafes Bruder
Der Totmacher
Jenseits der Stille
Männerpension
Werner – Das muß kesseln!!!
Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door
Rossini – oder die mörderische Frage, wer mit wem schlief
,comedian harmonitsts

more are onthe way

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:48 pm 
Rosenrot Donator
Rosenrot Donator

Bella Martha actually wasn't too bad for a chick flick, either - we watched it in German Film class.
Out of PuNkY's list, I've only seen Stalingrad, but the comedy suggestions (Especially "Go, Trabi, Go!" :rolling:) sound interesting.

I also recommend Wim Wenders' "Der Himmel ueber Berlin" and "In weiter Ferne, so nah!" (The sequel to the former). The first was adapted by Hollywood into "The City of Angels" with Nicolas Cage, which I loathe, but the Wenders original was fairly touching. I like the cinematography, and it is funny seeing Bruno Ganz as an angel when my first exposure to him was as Hitler in Der Untergang.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:07 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

yeah, I dunno how I missed Der Himmel über Berlin, that is one of my favorites, too. Go Trabi Go (and the sequel) is pretty cheesy but still funny....

for comedies I like Hape Kerkeling's Kein Pardon and Samba in Mettman (actually the latter more than the former but both are funny). Also Ein Freund von mir was pretty decent, and Vollidiot had its moments. ;) Alles auf Zucker was also pretty amusing.

war movies:
Stalingrad - excellent but verrrry dark. Of course that is appropriate to the topic....
Ich war neunzehn - interesting, about a kid whose communist parents emigrated to Russia, then he was part of the Soviet invasion of Berlin
Europa Europa - maybe a little bit overrated, but a good story about a Polish Jewish kid who passes himself off as a Nazi for a while to survive
Napola, Elite für den Führer - about a kid chosen to go to a Nazi elite school because of his boxing skills
Nirgendwo in Afrika - a jewish family moves to africa to avoid nazi persecution
Die Fälscher - about a counterfeiting project in the concentration camps... maybe overrated but decent I guess

Other stuff:
I'm beginning to be a Fatih Akin fan, particularly Gegen die Wand and An der anderen Seite, but Solino and Im Juli were pretty good, too. (but I haven't seen all his stuff yet)
Knallhart - a kid who grew up in a cushy fancy area of Berlin has to move to Neukölln and gets in with the wrong crowd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:33 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

ok i see you know much nazi ww2 stuff movies :roll: :shock:

so i decited to write some others

for kids:
die wilden kerle 1-????
die wilden hühner
amundsen der pinguin :rolling:
prinzesin lillifee
hexe lilli
back to gaya (an excellent anymation movie)

did you know that not brokeback mountain was the first movie about gay people in the wild west :rolling: because a cup of years before that movie was an comedy western movie in the german cinemas

der schuh des manitu ^_^
from here you can see the movie on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WU1nIzlYCY
and then part 2, 3, 4,.......

other comedy:
u900
männersache
vollidiot
kein bund fürs leben
otto der film
otto der neue film
otto der ausserfriesische
feuer, eis und dosenbier
die unendliche geschichte

action
enemy mine - geliebter feind
der eisbär
rote erde

i am sure there are more but some little maybe intresting infos: in grünwald (an area of munich) are the Bavaria filmstudios and you can make tours . and they have /had stuff (old sets etc )from rote erde, enemy mine geliebter feind, never ending story, asterix vs. cesar, das boot (is creepy to go throu the submurine set original :shock: ) and stuff from stalingrad there

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:36 pm 
Olli Dolly
Olli Dolly

PuNkY wrote:
did you know that not brokeback mountain was the first movie about gay people in the wild west :rolling: because a cup of years before that movie was an comedy western movie in the german cinemas

Can you remember the name of that (or the actors who were in it? The German assisstant brought in a DVD and it was a wild-western "spoof" film and there was a Native Indian type guy and his camp "twin" brother :lol:

Probably not the one I'm thinking of but never mind :P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:10 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

i guess it was

DER SCHUH DES MANITU
directed : by Michael "bully" herbig
story: michael "bully" herbig
rick kavanian
christian tramitz

cast:
apahachi : michael "bully" herbig (the main figiure )
winitouch : michael "bully" herbig (the naitive brother)
grauer starr: michael "bully" herbig (the grantfather, singer)
ranger (bloodbrother): christian tramitz
the greek : rick kavanian
the evil: sky du mont

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:23 pm 
Olli Dolly
Olli Dolly

Yes, that's the one! It was funny (well, what we watched of it anyway :rolling: )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:28 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

this movie was official the most sucsessfull german movie since the last 10 years

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:39 pm 
Olli Dolly
Olli Dolly

Yeah I was just reading about that on Wiki. Glad it did so well :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:08 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

NadjaCS wrote:

Oh I thought I was the only person in the world that had ever seen that movie. Then again not too many people I know would watch the movies listed in this thread anyway, heh
It was really good, and very sad, of course.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:45 pm 

Stahlgeist wrote:
I also recommend Wim Wenders' "Der Himmel ueber Berlin" and "In weiter Ferne, so nah!" (The sequel to the former). The first was adapted by Hollywood into "The City of Angels" with Nicolas Cage, which I loathe, but the Wenders original was fairly touching. I like the cinematography, and it is funny seeing Bruno Ganz as an angel when my first exposure to him was as Hitler in Der Untergang.

I second "Der Himmel Uber Berlin" (in America called Wings of Desire). If you are a U2 fan, then you are familiar with the story. They copied it for their Stay video. I just got this from the library again to watch it. It has been years since I saw it.

I just saw Bruno Ganz in the movie, The Reader. He plays the college professor.

I refuse to see the Nic Cage remake. I enjoy the original too much.

Thank you for recommending Das Leben der Anderen. I will have to look for this one.