Rosenrot logo

Rosenrot - Rammstein Fan Forum -

A place for fans of Rammstein to gather.
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next

What do you prefer reading?
True stories 15%  15%  [ 38 ]
Horror 15%  15%  [ 39 ]
Romance 5%  5%  [ 13 ]
Mystery 19%  19%  [ 48 ]
Science Fiction 14%  14%  [ 36 ]
18+ Romance 9%  9%  [ 22 ]
Mostly magazines / newspapers 4%  4%  [ 9 ]
Others 20%  20%  [ 50 ]
Total votes : 255
 Post subject: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:32 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

What Are You Reading?

I thought I'd start this thread where we can talk about books we are currently reading. It can also be a good place to discuss books we have already read and find suggestions on what to read next.

I'm currently reading Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot. I just started it and it looks promising. Just before I'd finished reading Dolores Clairborne, from the same author. (Obviously, I'm a big fan of S.K.) This last book was odd in a way that it is not a usual S.K. novel. It was basically the story of a woman narrating her own story as she is being accused of murder. There are no definite chapters and the story seems to have been written in one breath. Also, The element of horror which underlines S.K.'s work in general is almost non-existent. Almost is the key word here as it is easy to assume the monsters in this story were in fact in the narrator's head, but then again maybe not.

Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:38 pm 
Mistress of Ceremonies (admin)

Great idea for a topic!

I find that the vast majority of books that I own are non-fiction. There's probably a ratio of 85% - 15% non-fiction to fiction in my bookshelves. I like a wide variety of books - history (detailing different peoples' lives or world events), biographies, autobiographies, humour (I love Stuart McLean's "Vinyl Cafe" series!), criminology and similar topics, womens issues/feminism, animal/natural history topics, to name a few.

I've just finished reading (and yes, I do enjoy the majority of my textbooks) "Terrorism and Homeland Security" (6th Ed.) by Jonathan R. White. I'm currently reading "The Tempering of Russia" by Ilya Ehrenburg. And I have a many more that I've bought and promised myself I'd soon read! ^_^

Live a cruelty free life - go vegan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:14 pm 
(mod)
(mod)

Right now I am reading "Fool" by Christopher Moore

Rock over London... Rock on Chicago... Wheaties, breakfast of champions. - Wesley Willis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:25 pm 
Rosenrot Devotee
Rosenrot Devotee

Last book I read was Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie...

My favourite genres are horror, mystery and probably fantasy then science fiction, but I also like to read true crime books (books about criminals, particularly murderers I also find very fascinating!)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:11 am 
Paul Doll
Paul Doll

@Winter I loved Dolores Claiborne.

I am a big fan of Stephen King also. Some other writers I like are Dean Koontz and Richard Laymon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:06 am 
(mod)
(mod)

^ and ^^ Here another one. My favorite one is Bag of Bones( best book ever) I'm almost always reading more books at one time. Re-reading Messer to translate(day time) ,a bed / sun book
that's easy and which I can lay aside anytime ,this time Judith Gould- The Greek villa. Quantum touch by Richard Gordon because it interests me. And a Dutch book called Twee Vrouwen(Two women) by Harry Mulish. My son has to read it for his list . It's about a lesbian relationship between an older and younger woman.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:48 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

I also have a lot of books going at a time and several more staring at me from a pile, trying to throw a guilt trip on me for not reading them yet and far more that I really really really ought to pick up from the library at some point. :P

but at the moment the one that I am most ignoring (but I'll finish it this weekend, I have a flight with a long layover :P) is Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. I read it in high school in English but came across a German copy for $1 last summer and picked it up and thought I should read it.... it is interesting and the language is beautiful but somehow I got kinda sidetracked and it is, as I said, being ignored. ;)

the one I most recently started is called Planet Germany, by Eric T. Hansen, an American who moved to Germany in the 80s and later became a journalist. it is in German, and it's pretty funny, altho I think as an American I am far from the target audience. ;)

also waiting in the wings is Berlin Alexanderplatz, which I think I really *ought* to enjoy but the first chapter or so really didn't draw me in so it got set aside and I'll probably have to start over when I get back to it. :P

on the English side of things, mostly I'm reading in my Hindi, Urdu and Finnish grammar books. :P funny, I guess. the only stuff I read in my own language for fun these days is foreign grammar. :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:34 pm 
Rosenrot Devotee
Rosenrot Devotee

jette wrote:
@Winter I loved Dolores Claiborne.

I am a big fan of Stephen King also. Some other writers I like are Dean Koontz and Richard Laymon.

Oooh they are my faves too! Especially Richard Laymon... I have two signed books of his and they are my prized possessions :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:21 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

So I finished reading Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot yesterday. It turned out to be a story about vampires, which is a good thing since I sort of had a passion for vampires as a child. Anyway, this book was a great read, it started slow but the pace kept going faster as the story went along and the writing was excellent. Today I picked up my first Anne Rice book. It's called 'Cry to Heaven'. I've never read anything about her and I have no idea what to expect.

For those of you who don't care for horror stories, I'd like to mention an amazing book I've read, It's called Mirror Image by Danielle Steel. It's unfortunate to see her books have gotten a reputation for being (and some really are) 'sappy romance' stories, but Mirror Image is the story of twin sisters growing up in the early 1900's. This story is so full of action and emotions but it''s carried out (written) in such a way that it really takes you in from begining to end. It's one of the best books I've ever read. The quality of the writing is impressive and you can tell the author wasn't just contracted publish this one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:14 pm 
RichBitch
RichBitch

When it comes to books I am a real Chick-Lit girl :P
Although I also own Night by Elie Wiesel and a book from Sabine Dardenne who experienced the horrors in the celler from 'infamous' child rapist Marc Dutroux. I can really recommend this book for who has not read it yet!

But when it comes to reading I enjoy mostly Chick-lits. Currently I am reading Confessions Of A Shopaholic from Sophie Kinsella. So far I really like it :D

Oh and yes, most of my books are English :P I like reading English better than Dutch. Some books are translated and those just are not as good as the original!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:33 am 
(mod)
(mod)

^ You're absolutely right. I never read Dutch unless it is written in it. I always try to read the book in it's original language(can't do all that way , ofcourse :P )

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:34 pm 

Quote Nicole: "...and a book from Sabine Dardenne who experienced the horrors in the celler from 'infamous' child rapist Marc Dutroux. I can really recommend this book for who has not read it yet!"

Without getting up to check, I think that book's title is "I Choose to Live", isn't it? I've got it, but have not yet read it. (Now that I'm finished with school, I can start reading some of the many books I've collected!). :)

Live a cruelty free life - go vegan.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:30 am 
RichBitch
RichBitch

"I Choose to Live" is indeed the English title of the book! It is a fantastic book, not fun fantastic but you get a real good idea of what Sabine and the other girl(s) have been through.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:08 pm 
Olli Dolly
Olli Dolly

Right now I'm reading As You Like It for my drama exam, and I'm also halfway through Un Long Dimanche De Fiançailles (with the English version to help me, of course).

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:36 pm 

Has anyone else read Perfume because of DRSG??
I just finished it and :shock: I was enjoying it until
the very end and then it went kind of strange.

In general I like mystery.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next