Rosenrot logo

Rosenrot - Rammstein Fan Forum -

A place for fans of Rammstein to gather.
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Albums You've Recently Bought/Downloaded
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:51 am 
RichBitch
RichBitch

So, here you can post what albums you've bought recently, and review them. Don't just list, 'cause that's boring.

I just bought Without You I'm Nothing- Placebo
I pretty much know what I'm in for when listening to Placebo; androgenous vocals, melodic piano and guitars, pronounced bass-lines, grudgy sound overall. And you know what, it's a nice sound. This album is nothing new, in fact, it's a older album, but it sets out Placebo's style. Pure Morning is the opening track, and it's a very relaxed and groovy song, one that you could take drugs/have sex/get ready for a night out to. Then Brick Shithouse is a different song, bursting in after a few seconds of abstract noise. I think I can safely say that this album offers different paces of song, none of which sound the same, unlike some artists who tend to produce songs that sound all the same. The most noteworthy song on the album is Every You, Every Me, which is a song that most likely was a single at some point, because it is a stand-out song. The album finishes up with the 20 minute track Burger Queen. Actually this contains a hidden instrumental song, for those prepared to wait 10 minutes for it.
Overall a good buy, I think. Not too heavy to listen to, quite relaxed while also being interesting to listen to.

Last edited by Finsternis on Mon May 19, 2008 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:20 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

Horror Vacui from ASP.

I am a big fan from them. The beautiful lyrics, both in German and English, with the dark voice of ASP is wonderful and scary at the same time.
All of the ASP albums follow Die Schwarze Schmetterling, it is coming back on all of the cd. For me it is like live.....dark, beautiful and suprising.
This latest album is kind of Best of, but with numbers newly recorded, refined and remastered.....being a double album I know it will give hours of chilling cold and hot flushed listening

Post subject: Re: Albums You've Recently Bought/Downloaded
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:57 pm 
Paul Doll
Paul Doll

Am Ende Der Sonne - Farin Urlaub

I borrowed it from my friend and she practicly had to chop my hands off to take it from me. :lol:
Farin has really outdone himself with this album. Beautiful, meaningful but also funny lyrics combined with hard, melodic guitar riffs (and trumpets!).

Starts with 'Mehr', a heavy opener, followed my the beautifully dark 'Sonne'.
'Augenblick' and 'Porzellan' are wonderful songs to listen on a sunny day. :D
In 'Unter Wasser' I just get lost in the lyrics and sound.
'Wie ich den Marilyn-Manson-Ähnlichkeitswettbewerb verlor' is a humorous look at Rocker cliches, since our tee-drinking, anti-alcoholic, vegetarian Mr. Urlaub isn't exactly someone sees under a 'Rocker'. :wink: :-)
'Unsichtbar', about frustrations from being unnoticed by your crush or partner.
'Apocalypse wann anders', a lovely dark love song, followed by the instrumental 'Schon wieder'.
A nice rock piece is 'Immer noch', it's followed by the philisophic (well not quite :lol: ) 'Alle Dasselbe'.
Next is my personal highlight of the album, 'Kein zurück'. It's a song about suicide, matched with a dark acoustic riff and blasting Refrain. It's followed by 'Dermitder', a song about a trumpet player with a nice solo.
Last but not least, 'Dusche' is easily the strangest song on the album. Because when someone sings about his fridge, toaster, cups etc. attacking him, well.. it's pretty amusing :-) . The album is rounded up with a bittersweet violin outro.

Normally I don't like solo work from bands but there are some exeptions. Farin Urlaub is a wonderful musician and this abum doesn't even sound a bit like 'Die Ärzte', like most fans would probably expect.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:04 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

Die Ärzte - Jazz is anders ()economy version)

this is an record you cannot buy it in stores. just on conzerts from DIE ÄRZTE. it is an recaord with special editions of the songs from JAZZ IST ANDERS (the PIZZABOX in the thread -best album - covers). They have made almost new song versions of the songs.. realy cool and funny lyrics and realy good. :D
the music goes from FUNK to POP to little bit country and tehno :shock: (and some spoken parts ^__^)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:36 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

Launch Off To War by Cheap Sex
well the whole album is really fast, loud and will get up headbanging no matter where you are. really catchy. the lyrics are pretty meaningful and get you to think about everyday life. Launch of to war, somehow makes you think about what war is usually about, greed. Consume and consume makes you notice, that everyday horrors become natural and loses it shock factor after a while. a favorite of mine is Eyes see all. its basically to me about how people judge others by their looks. if you see a pic of the band you will probably think that people call them freaks, and despite the dislike to them they continue being who they are. so its basically "i dont care what you think about me. get out of my way" sorta thing.
"Dead today" is pretty sad to me. its really how something horrible can happen in an instant. at one time a friend/family is alive, than in an instant they are gone. the rest of the album is about everyday occurences and corruption. this album helps people understand and actually open their freaking eyes for once and see that life is not a walk in a freaking park.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:17 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I bought myself Fuel's newest album Angels and Devils; my musical tastes seem to be mellowing as I get older.

It is a really good album, it seems that the guitarist/writer/backup vocalist Carl Bell has some deep seated hurt cause like all previous Fuel albums this one was full of meloncholic droning, which after a while can get depressing and finally annoying, but I like it for a bit. The one bad spot for me was the use of the word F***, because on all of their previous recording they were able to sell really well and make great music without the use of swearing, why sell out now? But even with that blemish I love the album, I would recomend if you like older Fuel stuff that you buy it, unless you are a Brett Scallions fan because you will just be upset that he left and the new lead singer is a better vocalist, just my opinion.

Well I hope I got the point of this thread correct. I give Angels and Devils by Fuel 3 lml out of 5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:38 am 
Flake Fiend
Flake Fiend

Hea Hoa Hoa Hoa Hea Hoa Hea - Feeling B

I was super excited when this fantastic album came in the mail. The anticipation for fun and dunkenness nearly overpowered me as I unwrapped it, reaching a high point when I placed the black CD in the player and shakily pressed play. A gravelly voice greeted me with the cry of hea hoa hoa hea, then followed up with the others in the band joining in. BOOM is the only way I can describe the loud blare of roaring guitar as the battle cry rang out over it. The music then becomes more uniform and accompanied by whistling, then the lyrics come through as if on speed. The song is Artig.

A strong beginning of an album. The second song, Kim Wild, is another rare treat. Sounds a lot like Franz Ferdinand and the lyrics are in Spanish, which was as wicked as their English-lyriced song on Wir Kriegen Euch Alle.

This album is great to headbang to/jump around like a fool to/get drunk and stupid to/even strip to (Alles ist so unununheimlich dufte)! The songs are abstract, diverse and incrediblly fun and lighthearted. From Artig to Der Klavierspieler, this album is richly diverse in styles and temperments just like most children of the DDR. I highly recommend this album and give it a 4 out of 5.

For one with the soft lush lips of oblivion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:17 pm 
Rosenrot Fanatic
Rosenrot Fanatic

I bought the following last weekend:

--mix CD from Borders at the mall...I got not only the Metallica tracks I wanted, but also the others...like Nickelback's "Rockstar" (he is so making fun of the celebrity rockstar thing, which is hilarious to me), some Eminem (I happen to like him musically--different strokes for different folks, people), two Bowling For Soup songs (see previous note; I also especially LMAO at the comments about famous people in "High School Never Ends"), two from The Distillers (boy, can Brody Dalle belt it out, particularly on "City of Angels"), and a bunch of other stuff.

--a two-disc compilation of the best from The Ramones, who--for my definition of a punk band--really had a pop sound throughout the first disc. Not that that's a bad thing, with "53rd and 3rd" (about prostitution), "Pinhead" (they got tired of people thinking they were idiots), "Teenage Lobotomy" (self-explanatory), and "Chinese Rock" (I'll give you a hint: it's not about music) to give grit and weight to the beats. I haven't really listened to the second disc all the way through yet--I keep skipping to "Pet Sematary", which I absolutely love-love-love for not only the imagery (bones, graveyard at night under the full moon, the dead coming back to life) but the chorus. I'm convinced that Joey Ramone had a point about "I don't want to live my life again"--certainly I don't, which is why I like the line so much.

--another two-disc compilation, this one from The Clash. With this one I seem to prefer disc two for some reason, although "Complete Control" and "I'm So Bored With the U.S.A." look interesting just on the basis of their titles. On the other one, in the category of songs I want to copulate with just 'cause I love 'em so much: "The Guns of Brixton" (with a vocal delivery that raw, reggae vibes that deep, and a message that hardcore, why did Paul Simonon never do another song himself for the band??), "Lost In the Supermarket" (the humor inherent in trying to find a personality in the store is just priceless--and a great comment on materialism run amok, but that's my take on it), "Rock the Casbah" (or, as I call it, "the best dance song about Middle Eastern culture clash you'll ever hear"), and "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" (which is, IMHO, the best one to dedicate to someone you're planning on leaving; take it from me: see-saw relationships are a [bleep]).

--Shakira's "Pies Descalzos" and "Donde Estan Los Ladrones?" albums--hey, remember the good ol' days when she still sang in Spanish?? I do...
First, a bit of honesty: I really got "Pies Descalzos" to hear the title track (Pies Descalzos, Suenos Blancos). [Author's note: how do you do the tilde on here?] The album came out when I was in high school, and I had a copy my senior year. Since I also got molested during my senior year, complete with a crush on my perpetrator that I used the lyrics to express, I don't have a lot of good memories associated with that album. The title track--all about refusing to live according to society's expectations--was pretty much the lone exception.

"Donde Estan Los Ladrones?", however...where to start? I'd say with the first track, "Ciega Sordomuda". Fun to scream along to whenever you have a total crush on someone complete with urge to rip your own clothing off. (Right now, for me, that would be Till Lindemann. I am so in lust it isn't funny.) The title track is also cool, about politicians and their crooked ways (the title means "where are the thieves?" for a reason), as is "Ojos Asi" with its Arab-style beats and bilingual lyrics. (She actually sings in Arabic; it's written that way in the liner notes, too.) In the interests of keeping this from turning into a novel, let's call those songs my favorites.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:33 pm 
Mistress of Ceremonies (admin)

^SR: Another Ramones fan - great! :bounce:

Live a cruelty free life - go vegan.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:21 am 
Rosenrot Donator
Rosenrot Donator

"Along Came a Spider", from Alice Cooper, is the latest album I bought. Got it a couple of days after it came out.

It's an album I had to listen to more than once in order to fully begin to enjoy it. Although I liked it the first time around, it is only after the second listening that it truly grew on me.
In terms of musical style, the album definitely reflects his Dirty Diamonds (2005) album to a degree. But it also seems to take influence from Alice's 80s - early 90s albums. Some of the guitar riffs in "Vengeance is Mine" - the song Alice released prior to promote the album, apparently features Slash as guest guitarist - will definitely bring "Feed My Frankenstein" to mind.
Thematically, this is another concept album. From the references to spiders and the character "Steven", Coop fans can deduce that it is a continuation of the story told by the Welcome to My Nightmare (1975) album. The story here features a serial killer who takes a leg from each victim, numbering up to eight, to build a "spider". At one point, he falls in love with an intended victim - "Killed By Love" - and this section of the plot forms the album's ballad (Alice typically seems to attempt including at least one ballad with each album). And this ballad is my favourite Alice Cooper ballad to date.
The songs are what one expects from Alice Cooper - ranging from soft ballads to normal rock to hard rock, all with his trademark shock themes. Though I would not call them particularly memorable songs (Like many of his earlier tunes that have since become anthems), they are a major improvement from Dirty Diamonds, and it seems that Alice is truly back on track with his rock music after his return from metal (Brutal Planet, 2000, and Dragontown, 2001).

Overall, I consider it to be a very solid offering, and I hope that Alice continues on this track in the future. Welcome to My Nightmare is a favourite, and it is great to see him expanding on the plot he established with that album.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:09 pm 

^ I'll definitely be on the lookout for that. I have to get to the mall - pronto! Thanks for the review :)

What do you think of the Ballad of Dwight Fry? I just happened to think of it as I was reading your above comments regarding his ballads.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:39 pm 
Rosenrot Donator
Rosenrot Donator

BeeKay wrote:
^ I'll definitely be on the lookout for that. I have to get to the mall - pronto! Thanks for the review :)

What do you think of the Ballad of Dwight Fry? I just happened to think of it as I was reading your above comments regarding his ballads.

Oh, you're welcome. :) I'd love to hear what you think of the album.

The Ballad of Dwight Fry is an a great song, and I hadn't actually thought of it as I was writing the review. By ballads, I meant it more in the love song/soft rock context, and I should have been more specific there, I suppose.

With The Ballad of Dwight Fry, I've always been kind of intrigued about it being used on the Welcome to My Nightmare special, because it is very fitting for the whole concept, but isn't linked directly to the Steven character.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:44 pm 

Quote Stahlgeist: "By ballads, I meant it more in the love song/soft rock context,"

Oh gah! Of course! My bad... :doh:
And it's interesting how i just happened to think about the Ballad of Dwight Fry and decided to check it out on YouTube. I hadn't heard that song for a long time, so it was such a treat to listen to once again. What makes this song especially intriquing to me, is that the song SO reminds me of the Crim course I'm taking now. I KNOW I'll have that song in my head when I'm writing the final exam! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:18 am 
RichBitch
RichBitch

I've been delving into post-rock. There are all recent downloads of mine.

2am Wake Up Call- Tweaker
The Attraction to All Things Uncertain- Tweaker
Tweaker, otherwise known as Chris Vrenna (a name hardcore NIN fans should recognise as being that of a past member), is a very busy chappy. Besides writing and producing music for movies, games and other bands, he has his own little project. Mostly electronic instrumental music but also with some vocals from names such as Robert Smith from The Cure, both albums are worth a listen because no track is the same. They can range from upbeat, catchy tunes to soft ambience.

All Of A Sudden, I Miss Everyone- Explosions In The Sky
A established post-rock group I decided to try. This album is rather short at 6 tracks, but it's softness and energy delivers a sort of calm that makes it worth listening to full volume by yourself.

The Fall of Math- 65daysofstatic
A upcoming face in the instrumental post-rock scene, every track bursts with energy. Hints of vocals make the music even more engaging but the raw power contained in every riff makes this band one of my new favourites.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:47 pm 

PuNkY wrote:
Die Ärzte - Jazz is anders ()economy version)

this is an record you cannot buy it in stores. just on conzerts from DIE ÄRZTE. it is an recaord with special editions of the songs from JAZZ IST ANDERS (the PIZZABOX in the thread -best album - covers). They have made almost new song versions of the songs.. realy cool and funny lyrics and realy good. :D
the music goes from FUNK to POP to little bit country and tehno :shock: (and some spoken parts ^__^)

That's interesting, in Junge, does it have a voice over at the start. Because the version that I've got does is it the same one